Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System idle process

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 trevorveasey

trevorveasey

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

helloooo, Everytime I start a big program or game, my comp locks up, and when I ctrl-alt-del, My sysytem idle process is going nuts! I have win XP home with sp2. Thanx for your help!
Trevor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:55 AM

Hi trevorveasey

The System Idle Process at 9x% is normal - that means nothing much is happening in Windows.

The program or game locking up is not normal. I assume it is not the whole system locking up as otherwise you would not be able to bring up the Task Manager.
Please give us an example of the programs that fail.

Can you give us more detail about your system? Do you access the internet on that machine? Do you have up to date Anti-virus and anti-spyware? Have you done a scandisk and defrag recently? What size and how many hard drives? How much free space do you have? How much RAM do you have. Etc. etc.

Edited by Rimmer, 13 April 2005 - 03:56 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

The program is nascar thunder 2004. I have 89.9 gb of disk space left and a total of 108 gb. total physical memeory is 512 mb and 166 mb left. 2 gb virtual memory and 1.96 gb free. I don't know about the ram, where would I find that? I have AVG and it is updated regularly. I have adware se, Spysweeper, and spybot. All are up to date. Yes I am constantly on the internet because I have broadband cable. I run defrag about once a month if my comp starts slowing down. Is this enough, If you want more let me know, thanx

Edited by trevorveasey, 13 April 2005 - 12:58 PM.

Trevor

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

Has the game ever run on your system? What kind of graphics card have you got?
Have you tried updating the graphics card drivers? What version of Direct X have you got? Is that the only program which gives you problems?

Try Start>Run type dxdiag. The first page will tell you the version and other details. Click the Display tab and run the tests just to make sure your display adaptor is compatible.

RAM = physical memory = 512MB = good.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

Yes I have ran it before. But I had to restore my system do to a virus, but other programs that I had to reinstall are running fine. I will have to get back to on the system info. Thanx
Trevor

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:41 AM

If you reinstalled your system (as in format the hard drive and do an install from the windows CD) you also needed to reinstall the motherboard drivers, and (amongst other things) your display adaptor drivers. Depending on your version of Windows you need to install Direct X as well.

If you missed any of these steps that may be your problem.

#7 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:06 AM

I simply restored from a restore disk. I don't know if it formatted or not. I have an intel graphics controller w/ 64mb ram.

Edited by trevorveasey, 14 April 2005 - 02:07 AM.

Trevor

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:50 AM

Ok Restore disk would include your motherboard drivers and display adaptor drivers if the Intel graphics card is original. Probably put back an old version of Direct X though. Update that for a start. Look on internet for latest graphics/display adaptor driver as well.

Think along the same lines for your sound card(?). Is it AC97 onboard sound or do you have an add on sound card. Test it with dxdiag for compatibility.

Check the game packaging for minimum system requirements - does your system comply?

#9 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

I have soundmax digital audio, pci card. It was the one the comp came with. Yes my comp is within requirements.
Trevor

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

Have you updated the graphics and sound drivers and direct X yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users