Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Win2k Server With Xp Pro Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 swebb32_99

swebb32_99

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:41 AM

how to remove win2k server with xp pro dual boot

I know this sounds a little strange, but my xp pro cd wouldn't boot and i don't have a floppy the laptop. i was able to get finally boot the system and install Win2k Server (120 day eval). from here i then installed xp pro. the system is set to start with xp pro and i know how to remove the win2k line from boot.ini. my problem is there is only 1 winnt folder (i assume it is for both). am i missing something here? also, i just noticed that my pagefile.sys is 1.48GB, is this accurate for a fresh install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

This all depends on how you installed XP and what you told the XP installation routine to do with the Win2K installation. If, as I suspect, you've installed XP and Win2K on the same partiton, I'm surprised that it even works!

Putting that aside, can you boot into both the Win2K and the XP installations successfully? If so, then boot into the XP installation.
Open up Windows Explorer and ensure that you can view Hidden and System files.
Locate the boot.ini file in the root of the boot drive (usually C:\)
Right click on it and remove the Read Only check mark
Copy the boot.ini file with another name (I'd suggest boot.BAK)
Then right click on boot.ini and select "Open"

Here's an example of what one looks like:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

In your case, it's likely that there will be some differences:
- the \WINDOWS will likely be \WINNT
- the partition(1) value should be the same for both installations

So, what you'll do is delete the value for the Win2k installation. You'll also have to make sure that the default= line points to the WINNT directory that your XP installation is in. Once all that's done, save the file then re-make it Read-Only. Then reboot and check to see if it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

Win 2K Server...should have it's own Windows folder, while XP should have it's own Windows folder.

Looking at the C: partition via Explorer, you should see 2 Windows folders, each in a different partition.

Windows is not supposed to allow two installs of an O/S in one partitition...but it does and the result is usually chaotic. Even so, there should be two distinct Windows folders (Windows and Windows001 or something like that).

Louis

#4 swebb32_99

swebb32_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

I was surprised that it allowed me to install to the same partition. I tried to delete the win2k server partition, but it wouldn't allow it.
Here is the text from the boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect

I can now see that Windows=XP and Winnt=2kServer, i just thought they both would be Winnt.
So I assume that I will just delete the last line and also that folder??? Is there anything else?
There is also an image file (EISA) on the first partition. I want to blow this away, but I don't want anymore issues today!

You'll also have to make sure that the default= line points to the WINNT directory that your XP installation is in.

how is this done?

Lastly, here is a picture of the C drive.
Posted Image

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

I would (from the XP install):

a. Delete the Win 2K server folder.

b. Edit boot.ini to remove any reference to the Win 2K Server install (remove last line).

That boot.ini indicates that Win 2K Server was installed on a different partition...I would delete said partition if that's accurate.

...and I would leave that EISA partition alone. The only time I delete those is when I've wiped everything on a disk and I know it won't do any harm. They are difficult to get rid of. That partition probably contains your system recovery files.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

The default= is OK as it is - it points to your Windows XP installation on Partition 2 - just like the first entry under Operating Systems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 swebb32_99

swebb32_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

a. Delete the Win 2K server folder.

So do I delete WINNT and $WIN_NT$.~BT?

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic