Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Abruptly Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 GroggyP

GroggyP

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

For reference here are the details of my system. Figured taking a screenshot would be a fool proof way of conveying the system info. It is a practically brand new system.
Posted ImagePosted Image

When it starts up again I get this message:
Posted Image

I looked in the event viewer to see if I could find out what might be causing it
here is one instance:
Posted Image

and here is the latest:
Posted Image
obviously the 7:27PM entry here is the cause, but I don't really know if the TCIP error some 20 minutes later could be related.

I can't really think of anything that could tie together each instance. It has happened four times now I think.

I really don't know where to start to solve this issue, and I'm sure I'll need to post more info but I really don't know what.
Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

Double click on the Error message to get a description of it. Also, double click on the disk Warning to get a description of it.

The System Error message is likely to be a STOP error (also known as a Blue Screen of Death error). There's more info on the messages here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491 and there's descriptions of the different messages here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Post back with the information that you find and we'll start working from there.

While you're waiting for a reply, go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
In the black screen type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter
You'll get a dialog that says it can't do it now and would you like to do it on the next reboot. Press Y and then press Enter - then reboot the system. The scan will take a while, so just let it run until it finishes (noting any error messages that it may produce). You'll know it's done when the system boots into Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Double clicking on System Error
Posted Image
Clicking on the go.microsoft link gives me:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1003
Source: System Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
Message: Error code %1, parameter1 %2, parameter2 %3, parameter3 %4, parameter4 %5.

Explanation
A blue screen (Stop error) was reported. The message contains details about the error. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred.

User Action
No user action is required.

So looks like it was a STOP error, although the times that I've been at the computer no actual blue screen has come up, it just reboots out of nowhere.

This is what I get from the disk error:

Details
ID: 51
Source: Disk
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

When I saw this I downloaded SeaTools for Windows from the seagate website and the drive passed the SMART and Short Drive Selft Test.

The System Error help page (as quoted above) mentioned something might have been logged with an event ID1001. Sure enough I found this:
Posted Image

Double clicking on the entry and going to go.microsoft gives:

Details
ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BUGCHECK_SAVED
Message: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: %1. A dump was saved in: %2.

Explanation
The computer has restarted from a bugcheck. The event log contains details about the cause of the bugcheck.

User Action
If an error report was generated for this error, you might be able to obtain more information about the error by sending the report to Microsoft for analysis.

What to expect

Microsoft actively analyzes all error reports and prioritizes them based on the number of customers affected by the error signature contained in the report. When a report is submitted, Microsoft will try to determine the cause of the error, categorize it according to the type of issue encountered, and send you relevant information when such information is available. However, because error reports do not always contain enough information to positively identify the source of the issue, Microsoft may might need to collect a number of similar reports from other customers before a pattern is discovered. Although Microsoft might not be able to provide a solution for your particular error at this time, all information submitted is used to further improve the quality and reliability of our products.

Looking through the event viewer it seems like a 'Save Dump' Information entry is made about a minute before each System Error. Although the event viewer is also littered with Warning messages, either sourced from "Tcip" or "drive".

I just disable automatic reboot as well, as per the threads you linked to.

I will run the chkdsk thing after posting this

#4 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

ran the chkdsk.
I was only there to see it get to about 50% through stage 4, then i had to go to work.
If it did find an error would it notify me in some other way/is there some way to check this?

#5 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

With automatic reboot disabled I was able to copy down the following info from the BSOD:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0x0000000A(0x00000010,0x00000002,0x000000001,0x8501660C)

Any ideas?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

There's a lot of ways to proceed with this. Probably the most efficient would be to have you enable Driver Verifier according to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617 When it asks which drivers to verify, select only the "unsigned drivers" (otherwise it may slow your system to a crawl).

Once Driver Verifier is enabled, reboot and wait for the next BSOD. If we're lucky, the name of the drive will show up in the Blue Screen. If not, we may have to perform an analysis of the memory dump - but that can wait until we see what happens.

While you're waiting, I'd suggest running a diagnostic on your hard drive (these are usually available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive). chkdsk /r will fix file system errors - but will not fix (or recognize) physical problems with the hard drive. The reason I asked for this test was the error about paging operations (and that it was associated with your disk) - other things we'll try if the drive tests good are a memory test and rebuilding your pagefile.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:28 AM

Okay I ran verifier.exe as the article said, and the following unsigned drivers came up:
Posted Image

It verified them without displaying any errors, and told me to reboot. Then I reboot and without even logging in I'm hit with the following BSOD:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Technical Infortamation:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x89F18A48,0x00000002,0x00000001,0xBA4A10D0)
*** Aegisp.sys - Address BA4A10D0 base at BA4A0000, Datestamp 428a52a0

I had to press F8 and boot using an older configuration of XP

So obviously a problem with the IEEE 802.1X Protocol Driver. Would this be the cause of the original problem too, or just caused by the verifying of Aegisp.sys driver?
I'm using a ASUS 802.11g Network Adapter and would have just installed the driver that came on the CD with the Adapter.
And obviously, how could this be fixed?

About the HDD:
I'll run a Long Drive Self Test using Seatools for windows and see if it picks up anything.

#8 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

I ran SeaTools for windows and found no errors with drive after running a long drive self test.
Is there necessarily something wrong with the HDD for it to have caused those warnings in the Event Viewer?

And just to clarify, I've gone back to a previous configuration, so the drivers in the above screenshot have gone back to being unverified.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

http://www.file.net/process/aegisp.sys.html

http://www.networkworld.com/research/2002/0506whatisit.html

I would guess that you have corruption in your network setup (wireless lan), with references to a miniport driver and a wireless driver. File corruption occurs all the time and routinely causes problems.

Louis

#10 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Possibly a stupid question, but,
what do I do to fix it?
download new drivers for my ASUS adapter from their website?
Or try to find something on the meetinghouse (www.mtghouse.com) or cisco website?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

My cure for possible file corruption: Remove the suspect file/program, then reinstall the program.

There is nothing in Windows that is going to jump out and say "This File Is Corrupt" unless it's a serious problem preventing boot and it's related to NTFS or NTLDR. You just have to guess at why a given program or function suddenly malperforms.

My standard procedure for network/connection problems...keep it simple. Uninstall the network or repair or reinstall the connection/network, whichever option seems to be easier at the time. If it is corruption, it's not going to cure itself...no matter what it might be, it's probably not going to cure itself.

So I would uninstall my NIC, then reinstall it. Then I would either repair my network connection or set it up anew. I haven't had much luck with that "repair" button for network issues, but maybe that's me. It only takes a minute to set these things up anew.

By all means...get the drivers for the Asus motherboard...from that awful Asus support site (worst website I've seen for support)...sorry, my bias :thumbsup:. Or you can just use fresh ones from the CD that accompanied the board.

Louis

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

Once you get the error message (as you did), Driver Verifier isn't needed any longer - so that's why the settings were deleted.

In general you'll go to the website of the manufacturer of your wireless card and download the drivers from there.
In the event that the wireless card is built into your system, then you'd go to the website of the system manufacturer to download the drivers.

I'd recommend downloading the drivers, then uninstalling the old driver/software through Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs, then installing the newly downloaded drivers.

Also, if you'd post the information about the wireless card (if it's an add-on card), or the make and model of your system (if it's built-in), we can take a look around and verify where to locate the proper drivers.

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

I had a similar problem recently.

One thing I would recommend is to click on the "send error report" button - quite often a message will appear telling you what the fix is.

You haven't re-installed recently, have you? The system I was working on had been re-installed by a young fellow and the 2003 version of Symantec anti-virus was crashing the computer because it couldn't update. It restarted over and over.

The fix was simple - add/remove programs: uninstall the old version of Norton antivirus that came with the HP system when it was re-installed, and all was well.

#14 GroggyP

GroggyP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:22 AM

Wireless card info: ASUS WL-138g v2 PCI Card

So I downloaded the latest drivers for XP for the card, uninstalled the old one, installed the new driver and used the CD to re-install the ASUS utility (which is used instead of the windows one).

Repaired the network connect as well, just to be sure.
Wasn't sure what is meant by uninstalling the network connection/NIC. Do you mean physically uninstall the card and putting it back in? When I right-click on "Wireless Network Connection" under control panel/network connections/ delete is grayed out.

Is there any way to check if this solved the problem, other than just waiting for it to happen again?

@Herk:
Yes it is a completely fresh install, new computer, didn't come packaged with anything though and the only anti-virus I'm using is AVG Free 8.

Thanks

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Well...if I wasn't getting errors and error messages referencing those drivers...I'd consider that part of the operation a success :thumbsup:.

With network connections...you can repair the connection via XP.

You can also remove the drivers for the NIC via Device Manager, then reinstall drivers for the device...if you think that would clear up whatever the problem might be.

I've not had much luck with repairing connections when problems arise...so I take the long way around and check the NIC then set up the connection anew.

I don't know anything about setting up a wireless connection properly, I'm still attached :flowers: to Cat 5.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users