Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Win Xp Home Edition Diagnostic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cableman

cableman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

I redently upgraded my gateway computer from win me to win xp in the hopes that xp supports dvd playback. I noticed what I would consider "some glitching" during the upgrade and there seems to be a few missing files even though overall xp runs pretty well. I get a couple of missing file boxes but no big issues seem to come out of it. I was hoping that someone could advise me in a software program (free) that would help with the win xp issue.

Also my main purpose in upgrading to xp home edition was for the dvd support. I have a couple of dvd drives that I want to use for dvd playing of movies on my pc but so far not much more luck. The computer now recognizes the dvd's and hardware but won't play due to a message similar to "cannot play due to no dvd decoder installed on pc". Can anyone help me with what to do without spending money on software programs. I would think that there should be some freeware to help with this. I have installed KMPlayer upon recomendation from a friend but it seems not to work either. Can I find a freeware dvd decoder and what can I run on my xp system to straighten out? Thanks in advance for any advice or help in this matter. I have really put in some hours to try and fix this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

First, I don't recommend upgrading an older installation to XP. It may import issues (that you may not even know exist) into the XP installation. So I recommend backing up your information from ME, then formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of XP. If this is an upgrade disk you can still do a clean install - but the XP installation will ask for a copy of your ME disk to prove that you qualify for the upgrade.

Also, please read this page to ensure that your system will support XP: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/wi...mpatibility.htm Also, please let us know the exact model of your Gateway system so we can see if it's able to support DVD playback (and other aspects of the XP installation).

Then, there's 2 other issues - older drivers and service pack issues.

Your older drivers may have been imported for use with XP, but still may not be compatible with your XP installation. So they may need to be updated. Also, what version of XP (to include the date or service pack level) do you have? The disk should say something about Service Pack 1, 1a, 2 or 3 on it's face.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cableman

cableman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

I am using a Gateway performance 500mhz pentium III with 384 ram. I know that the processor is a little slow for the win xp but I have a 20 gig hard drive and all I am concerned with is that my dvd plays movies like a dvd player. After upgrading to win xp, the system recognizes the dvd drives properly and accepts software for dvd purposes. My main problem is that it keeps telling me that I need a dvd encoder installed. Can one of these be downloaded as freeware or do they have to be bought. I have already downloaded KMPlayer thinking that it supported almost all dvd types but it doesn't want to play then either.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

I tried this one on my last trip out of town. It works well, but isn't quite what I'm used to (but it's free!):
http://www.videolan.org/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users