Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm flabbergasted!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Zamah

Zamah

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:29 AM

I have been battling adware and spyware for weeks now, and am trying to use this forum to get help, and darn if I can't get it because pages won't load due to Spybot saying Avenue A, INC is trying to install itself (which I of course instruct SB to block the dl).

I think it's shameful that such a helpful site such as this uses banner ads in the first place, especially considering that alot of the help offered is how to clean your PC from adware and spyware.

Moderators, please pass this message on to whomever is in charge of allowing banner ads.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:29 AM

WELL MY GAST IS FLABBERED AS WELL!!!!!!

I have never seen any trace of Avenue A from BC, and thats before I had ALL the reccomended Blockers. I used to remove manually and never noticed anything from this site. BUT EVERYTIME my wife goes to MSN (USA) Homepage she gets a warning that Avenue A is trying to be downloaded, So if Microsoft do it, then there is no hope for the rest... :thumbsup: Or Maybe something in the background is reponcible.WHO KNOWS??? :flowers: NOT ME

#3 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:49 AM

Mine too!As to m$,had A2 run jacker scan=4 with open ports lying in wait to dialup
or jack home page!Logging on this am. noticed browser "redirected"to...M$!All
potential jackers id'd were m/s utilities,inveigling themselves onto start menu!Incl
Ash Mail Svr;Rundll32 exe+ 2 others-all disabled now!+Have Bugnosis running_
always Red Alerts MSN sites;&M$pages!Download contaminants from microsoft2day
Dialers,Trojans;VIRUS'-time to switch to Linux?!! :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:11 AM

Er..... What banner Ads? :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 13 April 2005 - 03:12 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 nanakat

nanakat

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

Zamah,
I've never gotten a banner ad on this site. I run 4 protection programs on my computer...
SpywareBlaster
Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG AntiVirus
Zone Alarm

They are all free. Try running the SpywareBlaster with your Spybot S&D. My computer has been very clean since I have. Run them both to clean out anything already on your computer then come back to this site...see if that works for you :thumbsup:
Posted Image

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

#6 Zamah

Zamah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

No banner ads you say? It took me 4 refreshes in order to get a page where Avenue A, INC wasn't trying to install before I could see the replies. The page that loaded for me had TWO banner ads, one on top just above "How to use this forum" which consisted of:

Deliver the dvd to the mailbox ... get two weeks of unlimited DVDS!
roll over me! Blockbuster online, the movie store at your door TM
(with a floating mailbox and crosshair to shoot the mailbox)

and the second just below the buttons to reply to this post:

Netflix delivers dvd rentals over 30,000 titles, no late fees, free shipping both ways, try netflix for free!

I would have taken a screen shot and posted it, but wasn't sure if it was allowed...and since I grew tired of trying to read the forum rules but pages not loading for Avenue A, INC I haven't read them yet.

EDIT: It took 3 refreshes to see the reply I just posted, two more banner ads, same position:

#1 Web hosting pick! 2,000 MB space, 5 gigs transfer/day, 2 months free PowWeb.com (click here)

Biggest game of 2004 Halo2 buy it now at EBgames.com

Unless there have been some big changes in how web pages are made and how spyware/adware performs, banner ads don't just appear on web pages all by themselves. I have Adaware (not the free version), Spybot, and I use Sygate (the free version, but damn I love that firewall because of the .dll notification and program changes notification).

EDIT2: Oh, and do none of you see the reply in my topic from Google.com? There is an advertisement as one of the replies in my topic no less. Cripes, this is ridiculous. If it's not against the rules to post a screen shot, let me know, I'll show you what I see when I try to view my thread.

Edited by Zamah, 13 April 2005 - 10:12 AM.

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:22 AM

I'm sorry you have them but I don't. I have seen a banner ad at this site.

#8 Zamah

Zamah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

So nobody else can see these ads, and that's just very odd. Is there anyone I can chat with on a messenger or by email or some means to figure out why I'm the only one seeing multiple banner ads on a web site that supposedly doesn't use banner ads? I still don't understand how banner ads can appear on a web page all by themselves. There has to be an explanation, even for the ad by google in the replies.

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

Please post the screen shot so we may see it.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:33 AM

Staff members, including all Mods and HJT Team members do not see the banner ads.

Since free help is avilable here @ BC. Ads are neccessary to bring in needed revunue, to keep the site running.

Spybot blocks the downloads. So there really is no worry. If you do not wish to be bothered by every little notification that come along.
Just choose to "Block All Pages Silently"
Posted Image

#11 Zamah

Zamah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:42 AM

Ok, so word that there are ads here on the site, well atleast I don't have to prove I'm not crazy :thumbsup: So question: If I let spybot block silently, will pages still load? Or will a page start to load and then stop with no explanation and I'm just going to have to "know" it's due to a known threat detected by spybot?

#12 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

Zamah: Welcome to BC, an all-volunteer force of really helpful folks. I can only repeat what others, especially "nanakat" have said. I run those four programs plus regular doses of CCleaner and have never seen any banner ads here, nor any pop-ups or unders. Suggest you read this BC Tutorial which should help you start to clean-up whatever malware is causing problems. Good luck and please post back so we all can learn.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#13 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:56 AM

Zamah: Sorry, forgot to give you a link for CCleaner download. You'll find it here.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#14 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

Spybot's Resident IE is what Zamah is referring too.

just a heads up

AstraZeneca
BellSouth
Best Buy
Blockbuster
Cadbury Adams
Cardinal Health
Carnival Cruise Lines
Citigroup
CondéNet
Danskin
Dell
Disney
Expedia
Forest Laboratories
Garnier Fructis
ING DIRECT
JCPenney
JPMorgan Chase
Kodak
Kraft
Mercedes-AMG
Microsoft/MSN
NBA Entertainment
Northwest Airlines
Ralph Lauren
Roche Diagnostics
Samsung
Sears
Starwood Hotels
Sun Microsystems
Thomson
Time Warner
U.S. Navy
Verizon Communications
Victoria's Secret
Visa
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals

Why did i list these Well known companies you ask Well these are all companies who use Avenue A on their sites and there are plenty more where this came from.

You will not do any harm setting Spybot to "Block all bad pages silently"

Right-Click the TeaTimer Icon in the System Tray put mouse over Resident IE From that Menu click "Block all bad pages silently"

#15 Zamah

Zamah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

What is Spybots Resident IE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users