Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Mdac

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rafinad

Rafinad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

A window called Microsoft that shows folder MDAC appears after start up.
I also noticed an unusual activity at shut off a window named something like ' tea time '.

Please help me with a fix, if possible.

R.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:00 AM

Hi, I think you might have some malware on your system. Please take a look at this.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Is the event that you are seeing at shut down called Tea Timer? Tea Timer is a function of Spybot Search and Destroy.

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 contains core Data Access components such as the Microsoft SQL Serverô OLE DB provider and ODBC driver. Is there an erro code in the box that shows up after starting?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Do you have Spybot installed?, spybot has a resident Tea timer protection ability (if you selected it on installation), so it could be malware trying to get through, or maybe something less sinister being prevented from updating. I would wait until an expert pops along. Check in every few hours, they are very helpful here and will get round to it, but swamped with requests for help.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

To test this, please disable the TeaTimer part of SpyBot Search and Destroy and reboot. Does the MDAC error still show up?
In the past there have been problems with the TeaTimer function of SpyBot Search and Destroy - but I haven't heard of them for a while. Is your copy of SpyBot Search & Destroy the latest version? If not, I'd recommend uninstalling the older version and then downloading and installing the latest version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rafinad

Rafinad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Is the event that you are seeing at shut down called Tea Timer? Tea Timer is a function of Spybot Search and Destroy.

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 contains core Data Access components such as the Microsoft SQL Serverô OLE DB provider and ODBC driver. Is there an erro code in the box that shows up after starting?

yes, I have Search and destroy. I think it was tea timer window at shut down it was on for a second.

there is no error msg in MDAC window looks like some process just forgot to close it. it just sits on top of Desktop
screen after Start up.

I'm updating Kaspersky files and it takes very long. I tried to download a book from Google 10 Mb took 15 secs
Kaspersky update is 32 Mb and takes much longer.

It just finished.

Will return after scan

Thanks to all of you.

R.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:48 AM

The MDAC is a valid Windows component, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Dat...cess_Components

I have ATI video cards and they install versions of the MDAC when the drivers are installed.

Tea Timer is a function related to Spybot S&D, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Spybot+Tea+Timer . Although I use Spybot, I never enable Tea Timer, since I don't see it as being valuable.

Louis

#8 Rafinad

Rafinad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

I ran Kaspersky for critical areas. It came up with one Trojan located in Norton quarantine folder.

I do not run Norton on this PC which I inherited. I do not know if it is in working condition.
Should I delete the quarantine folder of Norton manually?

In also seems that at start up the desktop flickers twice, as if the visible session is a sub-process
of an initial invisible master session. Is it my imagination?

I looked up Google and understand that MDAC is a component of XP but why is that Microsoft folder
window left open with the MDAC folder in it? It did not happen before.

Thank you for the advices.
R.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

Go to Search and enter Norton and see what comes up, if there are still entries for it try using the Norton Removal Tool.

Start> Search> All files and folders.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Rafinad

Rafinad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

While my problem is not critical nor urgent, I'd like to pinpoint the proc that does it.

I was not accurate in describing it. It turns out that this MDAC folder window is displayed

right before the lower right corner status bar ( system tray ? ) starts being populated.

What is the way to step thru the start up sequence? This way I will know which one of them

displays that window and also maybe the reason why.

Thanks, and again it is not critical, so you can put it on the low priority.
First help those whose PC is not running. I can wait.

R.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:19 PM

If the folder doesn't remain on my desktop after boot is settled, I would not worry about it.

About the only things I would try would be:

a. Run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on the C: drive/partition. Alternative is to start chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer, following directions for running the Graphical Version in the following link: XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

If using Graphical Version, be sure to put check marks in both the Scan and Recover options when those two are presented.

b. After chkdsk /r completes, defrag same partition/drive.

c. Run sfc /scannow just to make sure that all system files are intact and present.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users