Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Menu Items Get Stuck On Screen!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:17 AM

ok well ever since yesterday i got my new dell XPS 630i but something is very odd here are the specs 3GB ram, 2.40Ghz intel core quad Q6600, nividia 8800.
so here's my problem every now and again like if i go on windows live messenger or other programs i go into something for example on messenger i click tools and options the options screen appears normally BUT! the options item i clicked is still the on my screen it is not clickable and it can still be seen when the screen saver is running you can't make it disappear unless you do a reboot i have tried to turn off the monitor redo the tools options menu but still nothing works could it be an update that is bugged or something or could it be the video card im not quite sure i have also found the exact same problem on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...fm/1007384.html except its windows vista here is a screen shot of that problem on that website too Posted Image
if you know what's wrong or how to fix it please reply to this thread. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialga, 13 July 2008 - 04:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

I've seen this occasionally on systems at work - and it's a genuine pain.

Generally it's due to either 1) problems with your graphics drivers or 2) problems with the use of resources on your system. But it can also be due to problems with your graphics hardware.

So, the first step would be to uninstall your graphics drivers and install the latest certified version from the manufacturer of your video chipset (nVidia, ATI, Intel, SiS, etc)

Then, go to Start and type in "eventvwr" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the window that opens, click on System in the left hand pane - then review the log file (in the right hand pane) for errors. Then do the same thing for the Application category (checking for errors).

Let us know the results of what you find and we can work from there.

While waiting on this, you can also use your Task Manager to see if there's any issues that stand out. Right click on the Task Bar and select "Task Manager". When it opens, click on the Processes tab. Keep an eye on CPU and Memory statistics when this happens to see if anything jumps out at you (FYI - if you double click on the CPU or Memory tab, it'll sort the columns according to that heading's utilization).

Edited by usasma, 13 July 2008 - 07:49 AM.
Brain cramp or Alzheimers - you take your pick! :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Dialga

Dialga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

i shall try it tomorrow im over my internet plan but i will be able to download again tomorrow oh i also had a big of a BSOD problem with punkbuster a well know anti-cheat program for games the EA and other companies release i used one of your guides and found the file pnkbstr.sys deleted it and reinstalled the game tested and works no more BSOD YEA! :thumbsup: i don't think this would do anything with it but to stay on the safe side i have told you.

#4 Dialga

Dialga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

Well I've uninstalled the drivers for the video card it has gone fine restarted after a BIG 800x600 screen on my 22" inch LCD looked horrible windows was trying to use it after the screen restarted around 7 times I went to install the driver restarted once again and it seems normal I have gone to look at the logs no errors seen apart from having the same IP addresses as my Wireless Mobile Broadband Modem but I think that's nothing to do with it I have run some tests to recreate the problem and at the moment nothing is getting stuck on screen so it looks like reinstalling the driver for my video card must have worked CPU rate looks about normal no random jumping except when I open Messenger or something that would take a bit to open.

#5 Dialga

Dialga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:49 AM

nope it happened as soon as i got back home i was trying to sign in in windows live messenger but it looks like when ever i rush and open and close things it gets slow and that happens:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users