Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trusted Websites, Are They Really?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mesmerized

Mesmerized

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:23 PM

Websites like downoad3k.com, download.com, softpedia.com and others offer hundreds of downloads claiming that the products they are servicing have been tested for viruses, spywares, adwares, backdoors etc. But at the same time, some of them make the "report spyware" option available for users. So are their products to be trusted or not? Has anyone here downloaded a software from these websites and which turned out later to be infected by a spyware or worse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:52 AM

Hi mesmerized.

When downloading anything off the Net, it is up to you to ensure that your personal computer protection is adequate and uptodate.

There are literally hundreds of download sites out there and some are decidedly dodgy. A good first indication is by using SITE ADVISOR or WOT. Reputable sites such as Download.Com, Softpedia, Tucows, MajorGeeks, can generally be trusted to have done their best to ensure that the stuff they host is as safe as can be.

Edited by rowal5555, 13 July 2008 - 02:53 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:27 AM

Hello!

Thanks a lot for your answer. It was useful to me :thumbsup: .

Take care

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

I am a great fan of Downloads.com for several reasons. First they check any candidate for malware before making it available, and second they provide user reviews. While I take the latter with a grain of salt, it does tend to indicate if there are performance or installation problems, or if the product works as advertised or not.
A site that includes a "report spyware" option, assuming action is taken on the reports, seems concerned about providing yet another level of customer safety.
I also rely on BC's list of free applications, since they have been used and scanned by other Members:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Since most infections are the result of downloads by users who are less than careful, any research undertaken minimizes the chance of infection.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:18 AM

Thanks a lot John. Your opinion about this matter was helpful too :thumbsup:. Like you said, it's better to rely on the opinion of someone who has downloaded an application and tested it himself ...

Edited by Mesmerized, 14 July 2008 - 02:18 AM.

#6 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

I think that sites that you've mentioned in the first post are reliable enough. I often use them and I've never suffered from spyware, adware etc. But, on the other hand, I have really good antivirus protection and I think rowal5555 is right saying that every downloaded soft is potentially dangerous and it's up to you whether you protect your computer well or not.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:02 PM

You can always use http://www.siteadvisor.com/ to check a site out first

Download3000.com has been flagged a lot of times
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Trans Geek Lily

Trans Geek Lily

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

Avast would be able to catch any dangerous downloads, but Cnet is very trusted, Avast hasn't detected anything bad from that site. At least on my end, it hasn't. If any download was dangerous, Avast would catch it very early. Other products like AVG and Avira would catch these but a bit later than Avast. NOD32 could probably do the same as Avast. Basic rule of thumb for any download site. Be sure to scan each and every download, preferably before and after the download. Some sites are usually safe, but you never know when something bad can get through.

Edited by Trans Geek Lily, 18 July 2008 - 10:34 PM.

#9 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

Ok, thanks everyone for your explanations

elenka: But, on the other hand, I have really good antivirus protection

Do you mind telling me about the AV you are using? thanks in advance.

#10 HelenK

HelenK

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:31 AM

Ok, thanks everyone for your explanations

elenka: But, on the other hand, I have really good antivirus protection

Do you mind telling me about the AV you are using? thanks in advance.

I use Avast! antivirus software for protecting my laptop. It's really reliable.

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

There are a number of good antivirus products out there, but I too have relied for years on the free AVAST Home Edition for all my computers. It checks everything coming in instantly and updates automatically every day or every time you reboot. I also have it set to recheck every completed download via StarDownloader and BitComet, and I love the way it 'talks' to me.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:42 AM

Up till now I've been using Symantec AntiVirus, but Avast seems more useful so I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by Mesmerized, 14 October 2008 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users