Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Removing "worm.win32.netbooster"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sbvtvl

sbvtvl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

I got infected with something that claims to be "Worm.Win32.NetBooster". I looked up removal instructions for it online and, as suggested by several site including this one, got directions on downloading SmitFraudFix and AVG anti-spyware. Then, restarting in safe mode, scanning, removing, etc. Here's the problem, though:

Since the begining of the infection, the virus has not allowed me to access the C drive from My Computer, and also does not "see" CDs in the D drive. Thus, when I download SmitFraudFix and AVG anti-spyware (on a second, uninfected computer) and put them on a CD (don't want to use a USB so as not to risk screwing it up, though I don't know if that's possible), I have no way of opening them on the infected computer and removing the virus. Internet Explorer also doesn't do what it's supposed to anymore. Whenever I open it, it gives me another one of the fake anti-spyware offers and doesn't let me go to any sites.

So, I would be incredibly greatful if someone here could give me instructions on how to
a) stop the virus from affecting my browser so I can download the removal files directly, or
:thumbsup: get the SmitFraudFix and AVG Anti-Spyware files onto my desktop from a CD against the virus' will.

Thanks very much.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 July 2008 - 11:08 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:14 AM

You are going to have to download the following programs and save them to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive, then transfer to the infected computer. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the flash drive until Windows detects it to bypass autorun.inf from executing automatically if it is present.

If you're using Windows 2000/XP, please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix". This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
-- Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus and any anti-malware real time protection before performing a scan.

When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply. Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

To fix the policy restrictions created by this infection, please open the SDFix folder or download XP_CodecRepair.inf and save it to your desktop. for Windows XP ONLY.
  • Right-click on XP_CodecRepair.inf and select Install from the Context menu.
  • Note: To download the .inf file, go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save XP_CodecRepair.inf to your desktop.
  • Then log off or reboot to apply the changes.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Instructions with screenshots if needed.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users