Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Blocker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jennkent5454

jennkent5454

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

I am looking for an IP blocker. no real reason I need it, I'm just a paranoid old man.
any good ones that actually work out there? pay or free let me know!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

A router will do this, but you'll have to set it up and then enter the blocked IP addresses manually.
You can also do this with the Advanced Properties of the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

You can use Outpost Firewall in its settings you can block IP address.

Also you can edit HOSTS file to redirect ip address to 127.0.0.1, thereby blocking it.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

Are you saying you want to block your IP from others on the internet?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 jennkent5454

jennkent5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

yes sir,

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hello, jennkent5454.

Sorry to tell you, but....

There's no way to do that. Your IP address is required to send information to your machine. It's like asking for letters but hiding your mailing address. Your IP does not personally identify you, and is not a security risk. It's simply a numerical value used to route the packets (Kinda like letters) to your machine.

Most "IP Blockers" are simply bouncer machines... machines you run your connection through and get to use their IP address. However, even in this case, your ip still has to be visible to the bouncer machine (more technically called a proxy).

If you're really concerned about privacy, you may wish to try Tor:
http://www.torproject.org/

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 RealJeep

RealJeep

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

You can also use a proxy like AOL which routes you through their server and gives you one of their many IP addresses. The other option is Google proxy server and go that route. But...Better not be doing any illegal because even with a proxy they can still find you, it just takes longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users