Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help My Cdrw/dvd Drive Disappeard!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Odie2006

Odie2006

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hi I own a Presario 900 notebook. My cdrw/dvd drive works well worked great. Until the other day when i put a cd in to listen to and nothing happened. The drive opened, i put the audio cd in, closed the drive and the cd spun up to speed and the little (pc is thinking light) flashed a couple times and that was it. So i opened MY COMPUTER and all thats there is my hard drive. so i went to the event log and this is what i found.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PlugPlayManager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12
Date: 6/30/2008
Time: 9:36:32 PM
User: N/A
Computer: My_Laptop
Description:
The device 'TEAC DW-224E' (IDE\CdRomTEAC_DW-224E____________________________A.0F____\5&218fbb36&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

I have tried the windows xp cd fix but it did nothing.
I upgraded the bios like compaq support told me to do but thats all the help they would give me.
please help i don't know where to go from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

Try this fix from Doug Knox

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Edited by garmanma, 12 July 2008 - 09:32 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Odie2006

Odie2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Actually i tried that, thought i put it in my post. Anyways the compaq/hp tech told me to try that. It didn't do anything for my problem. I used the doug knox fix, and another fix which was pretty much the same thing, and I tried the upper and lower filter manual fix, but there were none, my drive doesn't even show up in bios.
Is my drive dead? It opens when i push the button and the drive still spins up.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Have you checked the connections?

Tried it in another machine?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Odie2006

Odie2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

I pulled it out and blew off the connections with canned air. I put it back in and the same problem. I don't have access to another laptop to try it, and I don't have the money to take it to a repair shop to have it looked at.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

Put in your Windows XP bootable CD in this drive and reboot your computer. If the Windows setup starts from the CD, the drive is alive :thumbsup: You can use any other bootable disk for that matter. If the system boots from the bootable CD, your optical drive is still alive.

For this you should have proper BIOS settings, so your system can boot from optical drive before the hard disk.

If this works, open Device Manager. To open device manager, right-click My Computer, click Properties, select Hardware, click Device Manager. Is your optical drive listed under CD/DVD Drives category. If yes, open its properties and enable it.

If your optical drive is not listed there. Select your CD/DVD Srives, and click "Scan for hardware changes". Does it find your optical disk drive?

I hope you find this imformation useful :flowers:

Edited by Romeo29, 17 July 2008 - 06:35 PM.

#7 Odie2006

Odie2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

Well I don't have my xp cd, is there anyway i can download the stuff thats on the xp cd from somwhere and burn it onto another cd? We have another computer its a newer compaq, the only cd that came with it is the software for the monitor, that isn't a bootable cd is it? I tried it but it didn't do anything, bios is set up to boot from optical drive before hard drive. Popped it in and all it did was boot straight to xp.

Edited by Odie2006, 17 July 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

If you can burn a cd, there are many linux iso images over internet. download a tiny one, since all u want is just test ur optical drive. DamnSmall Linux ISO is around 50MB.

ftp://ftp.oss.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/dis...t/dsl-4.2.5.iso

You can use nero or roxio cd writer software. It should boot into linux desktop from cd.

Edited by Romeo29, 17 July 2008 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users