Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Core Temperature Limit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hey guys!

I finally managed to buy Crysis, and my computer seems to be running it extremely smoothly with highest graphics settings (my computer's stats are on my profile).

I wanted to monitor the GPU temperature, just to get an idea of what kinds of temperatures it reaches. Now, I'm currently using RivaTuner to monitor the GPU temperature and it records a maximum temperature of 65C when playing Crysis. (and if you're curious, my CPU core temperatures do not go above 45C)

Is this temperature safe for the graphics card, or should I supply more cooling to it? In one of my previous threads, I wanted to buy some UV sensitive parts, and there is a GPU cooler than can be bought.

Thanks guys!

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:08 AM

I was just reading a review of your Nvidia eGeForce 9600 GT at Fudzilla where they tested the card which was running temperatures ranging from 46 C to 68 C, so I don't think your temps. are out of line.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Wow, my card idles at about 58C! Under load my card usually gets up to around 80C! I have an ATI card though, and I think they are generally hotter than Nvidia's. Also, my cpu cores get to around 70-75C under load, which is bad. Heck, when I turn my computer on, my cores are already about 50C.

I'd say with those temperatures you're beyond fine.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,283 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

I was just reading a review of your Nvidia eGeForce 9600 GT at Fudzilla where they tested the card which was running temperatures ranging from 46 C to 68 C, so I don't think your temps. are out of line.

Ahh.. thanks :flowers:

Wow, my card idles at about 58C! Under load my card usually gets up to around 80C! I have an ATI card though, and I think they are generally hotter than Nvidia's. Also, my cpu cores get to around 70-75C under load, which is bad. Heck, when I turn my computer on, my cores are already about 50C.

I'd say with those temperatures you're beyond fine.

wow... :thumbsup:
Have you tried to do anything to cool the card and the CPU?

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

I don't think the card is that bad, because it only gets up to 80 after an hour or two of intense gaming. I've heard from other people these cards get quite hot.

With my cpu though, I actually have an aftermarket fan for it, but it's nothing special. The problem with it is that I don't have any arctic silver, and when I built my pc I used this white-pastey thermal paste that is made for machinery. It's not great, but it's what I got. As you can tell I'm pretty cheap. Also, I'm overclocking my cpu from 2.0ghz to 2.8ghz. I cleaned my case out this morning and I think my cpu is actually running quite cooler. There was so much caked in dust in the heatsink. Right now both core's are idling at 46C which is probably the lowest I've seen them. I should get in the habit of cleaning my case out more frequently :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,283 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

I used this white-pastey thermal paste that is made for machinery

Hehe... I used the paste that came with my CPU fan too :thumbsup:

Also, I'm overclocking my cpu from 2.0ghz to 2.8ghz.

Well, that makes a lot more sense then. If you're overclocking that much, I wouldn't be surprised!

I should get in the habit of cleaning my case out more frequently

Since I just built my computer about 3 weeks ago, I haven't yet cleaned it out (although I have noticed a buildup of dust near the CPU fan filter). Something tells me that I'll need to clean it out next week :flowers:

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users