Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greets Peeps :)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rroot

rroot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Greetings from a newbie (newb, noob, etc...) :flowers: , go out to all at BleepingComputer.

How did I find your site? To make a long story short, I saw a link to BleepingComputer in the forums at Safer Networking. (Home of SpyBot S&D)

Why did I come here initially? (Another long, story short) A friend was browsing a few (shall we say), less that dubious web sites, and in a few minutes, totally messed up his system. I removed a lot of stuff manually but am going to run the "ComboFix" Utility when I get physical access to his system, to double check everything. So Initially it was a off site web link for details on ComboFix.

Will I become a active and regular participant / contributor? Unknown at this time.
Being honest with ya, I am always doing something & it seems like there are not enough hours in the day to do all I wish. At the moment I have 2 systems at home that are in dire need of repair. Mine needs to have the systems disk swapped out as it recently got a few sector errors on the hard drive. I did a RMA and received a new hard drive this Wednesday (9th). I set the drive up to do a clone to the new drive. I am having a fit with it and it locks up partially through. I guess because of the sector errors?

About 10 min after I started the clone, that is when my friend called with the spyware & virus infection. So I worked on his system for quite awhile. Still need to work on it a bit, but at least he can use it without any worries. His OS is still messed up though. The C:\ drive does not even show up in the windows explorer, so ya just can't click on it to do some work. Have to manually enter c:\<path> in the task bar to go there initially. If you go to Start/Settings you should see at least 4 items to click on, the Control Panel, Network Connections, Printer and Fax, and the TaskBar and Start Menu. Well initially the TaskBar and Start Menu was the only thing showing. I could not access the Control panel at all by mousing to it. I had to forgo easily accessing the components and do it the hard way, by going to DOS and issuing the commands. All Spyware and Virus programs were disabled and inaccessible. System protection had been turned off, all previous "System Restore Points" were deleted, then the system protection was turned back on. The DNS and Tcp/IP stack was totally hosed. Any Virus or spyware site was not accessible at all. All would time out, I tried tons of them, Avast, Avg, Bitdefender, F-Prot, F-secure, Kaspersky, Nod32 Panda, Sophos, VBA32, SaferNetworking, etc... Finally I resorted to drastic procedures and destroyed then rebuilt by Tcp/IP stack with a DOS command "netsh int ip reset c:\StackLog.txt". Course then I had to go in and reassign the internal IP and DNS and other stuff, but that fixed the DNS issue (it wasn't changed in the registry, that was the first place I looked).

Then one of my other systems is getting very prone to freezing up and BSOD's. Course I expect it on a Windows system as it has been 3 years since the last rebuild and tons of stuff has been installed and removed. Finally the Registry started giving me errors. I looked at the size of the files and the System registry is a whooping 205 meg. :thumbsup: (hod-o-mighty, lolol) The Software registry is 23 meg. I am sure both of them have gotten corrupted at some point in time. Prolly will wind up doing a complete reformat and rebuild of that system. Easier with the new XPsp3 slipstreamed & a lot of defaults configs set in it.
Sigh, just more stuff to do...

So that was the long answer for "Will I become a active and regular participant / contributor?".
Short answer is, I will drop in from time to time as I can. If I see something in which I might be able to contribute, then I will speak up.
It takes awhile to fit in within any forum. Each individual has specific areas of interest and expertise. That is one of the things which make a forum viable, current and well frequented.

Trying to balance my awake time between all I need to do and fun time :-)

Well let me go read a bit in the forums.
Just thought I'd poke my head in and say Hi to all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hello rroot and welcome to BC.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

If you find BC helpful, then recommend it to your friends who have problems. And if you have some spare time, please contribute in helping others as you have been helped here at BC.
Thanks for saying hello, and welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users