Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

I have a machine in Michigan I built that my mother uses mostly to play games and check email. Today when she turned the machine on it wouldn't not boot to Windows. There is 720 miles between the two of us and I know she is lost without her email.

I've tried having a friend who is helping her turn the machine off and get into BIOS. After much effort I was able to get her into the BIOS. I thought it might be smart to have her set all the "default settings" and exit saving changes. The next time she tried to start it wouldn't and she hasn't been able to get back into BIOS.

Mother had a floppy in the drive when she rebooted. I'm wondering if it tried to boot to it. I doubt it as there was no screen saying it couldn't boot from the floppy.

I have the Windows XP original disk that I purchased which I could send to her to do a Windows Repair Install. As it is an upgrade disk, I'm pretty sure she would also need a copy of my older Windows 98 disk to prove that she is able to use the upgrade disk.

I don't want to have to do that as I have three hard drives installed on the computer. On C I have an 80 gig, on D on 120 gig, and on E a 160 gig. If I'm correct, when I do the repair using a pre Service Pack 1 or 2 Windows XP, The entire size of the drives will not be recognized.

If there are any other suggestions on how I can help to get my mother up and runnings, please let me know at your erarliest convenience. I was hoping to get to the screen where I could select Safe Mode with Networkng or Last Known Good Start but she can't seem to get there.

Thanks again for any ideas.

Steve Bell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hello Steve,

If there was a floppy disk in the drive the system would have most likely tried to boot using the disk. Did she mention anything strange about the system before this happened?

would also need a copy of my older Windows 98 disk to prove that she is able to use the upgrade disk.

What version of XP is on the system? Did you upgrade from Windows 98 to XP?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

The computer is running Windows XP Home. The reason I mentioned Windows 98 was that if she has to run a repapir install that after using the Windows XP Disk (with Key Code) it would also want verification that there was a previou version of Windows to allow the upgrade version of Windows to work.

No other real problems I am aware of.

Thanks for your questions. I appreciate it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

A copy of both disks will usually suffice as long as your Mom has her own product key for XP.

The best way to start troubleshooting this is to get an exact description of what happens when she tries to boot the system. This will include the exact text of any error messages that are displayed. From there one can usually determine where in the boot sequence that things are going awry. That'll narrow down a lot of the troubleshooting.

I'm not real sure about this as I've never tested it - but I've never had an issue with hard drive size and SP1 repair installs - so I suspect that Windows SP1 will recognize the entire partition. But, since it's a repair install, Windows won't mess with the partition - so there's no problem with trying it.

FWIW - you can also slipstream a copy of SP2 into the SP1 disk (using these instructions: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for replying John,

I googled Slipstreaming on the net and located a step by step instruction which I can follow. It uses AutoStreamer. My only problem is that it does not list Vista as compatible with AutoStreamer. Do you know of any program that I could use to Slipstream Service Pack I or II (XP) using my Vista machine. I know I can download XPs SP1 and/or SP2.

Thanks for writing back. I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

I have friends who swear by this free tool (but I've never used it myself): http://www.nliteos.com/
It is Vista compatible.

Another option is to install a Virtual Machine on your Vista system, then install XP on it - and use that to slipstream the disk with the AutoStreamer program. If you've got Vista Ultimate, Business, or Enterprise you can use this free Virtual Machine: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...pc/default.mspx

I understand that VMWare offers a free virtual machine also (but I haven't looked at it in a very, very long time). I've read about this free VM: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes and have limited experience with it.

Edited by usasma, 13 July 2008 - 08:34 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users