Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making A Website Work With Browsers Other Than Ie?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

A friend of mine has spent a lot of time developing a business website with Publisher 2003, which apparently only works properly with Internet Explorer.

She has asked me to try and find out from you good people how to make it compatible with other browsers. This is not my sort of thing at all so any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

The site is  
http://www.solarshop.co.nz/

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 12 July 2008 - 08:38 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splodge

splodge

• Banned
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:27 AM

cross browser problems? scerge of the web designer,
main ones i noticed are word spacing, line spacing, font types, and text size, CSS are sposed to fix most of the problems, layers with absolute settings help with others.
then there is the end user, images on or off, java on or off, text resizing on or off, screen size, screen resolution the list goes on,
my way past all these problems (except java off) is FLASH, i build all my smaller sites, and some bigger ones in flash, cross browser proof and can do some nice slik trix too

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:56 AM

One of the first steps should be to make sure that the code is 100% standards-compliant. There are 12 errors just in that little bit of code.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%...ine&group=0

Try starting there.

#4 TheEndX

TheEndX

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

One of the first steps should be to make sure that the code is 100% standards-compliant. There are 12 errors just in that little bit of code.

The page in the frame is much worse with atleast 470 validation errors. The page, especially designed in MS Publisher, would be probably best done over outside of MS Publisher (Or any other MS web designing capable applications) because its codes are specialized for IE. There is no certainty, and it is probably unlikely even if you fix those errors, that it would look as wanted in non-IE browsers like Opera or Firefox.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

Thank you all.

She is making changes and getting some good results, so sends you her thanks.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users