Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Internal Hd To External Hdd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LuxEsto

LuxEsto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:51 PM

Problem: I can not get Windows (XP) to recognize USB device (external HD). "Device not recognized"
Scenario: Using WD (Western Digital) Caviar Enhanced IDE Drive 160gb (WD1600) 7200 rpm from an old (dead) computer. Installed in MASSCOOL UHB-330U 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure. I have moved WD jumper to every possible config shown on WD website (master, slave, CS, PM2, etc. jumpered pin configurations). NO LUCK.
When I plug USB cable into computer (i've tried 2 computers) I get same error: USB device not recognized.
Newegg user forum suggests this should be a simple "plug-n-play" operation.
What am I doing wrong?
Help...!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

According to everything I've read, the device should be a simple plug-and-play device requiring no additional drivers. The drive should be set to master. That particular enclosure doesn't get many good reviews, they often have defects and occasionally arrive DOA. If it continues to fail, you should try another enclosure and if that works, RMA the Masscool. The Newegg forum user was right, it should be a simple operation.

Other enclosures that support 3.5'' IDE drives over USB 2.0 that are good:

AMS VENUS DS-2316B2BK
VANTEC Nexstar 3 NST-360U2-RD
Galaxy METAL GEAR Metal Gear Box II 3506UC-Black

3939.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Does this hdd have a Window operating system installed on it?

Does this hdd show up in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 johnrhance

johnrhance

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

You said you pulled the HDD from a 'dead' computer. Are you sure the drive still works? If so, it's probably the external enclosure that is causing your problems. If you can, try another enclosure. You might also want to install the drive right on your board and make sure it works if you haven't already done so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users