Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sp1, Pci Adapter, Losing Internet Connectivity.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Eesti

Eesti

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hi,

Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, as I am not exactly sure what is causing me the problem. I am running Windows Vista SP1 with a Linksys WMP54GS Wireless - G PCI Adapter with Speedbooster and use IE 7. I am connected wirelessly to my brother's desktop computer, which is connected to a WRT54GS Wireless - G Broadband Router with Speedbooster.

My problem is (and this has been occuring for months) - intermittently (but more and more frequently), every time I turn on my computer, in the icon tray, there will be a red "X" in the two computer icons and when i click on "connect to a network", it will say that I have "no network connections available" and my adapter will not show up in Device Manager under Network Adapters. For the last several days, when I turn on the computer, my Hardware Manager will load in windows upon startup and tell me that it has "found new hardware" that needs to be installed -- my PCI Adapter. When I try to update the driver, it won't let me. However, if I reboot several times, I again get internet connectivity and my brother's computer shows up in "connect to a network".

I have noticed that when logging off or on, in the Event Viewer, I will get double warning messages that read:

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The application or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -

1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2114078568-3888910275-855478220-1001_Classes:
Process 924 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2114078568-3888910275-855478220-1001_CLASSES

Log Name: Application
Source: User Profile Service
Event: 1530
Level: Warning
User: SYSTEM"

I have called Linksys technical support more times than I can count (and that's not an exaggeration). This has happened with three PCI cards. They can not seem to help me and eventually told me it was my computer, not their device. I called Hewlett-Packard twice and was charged $50.00 each time and they were unable to pinpoint the problem and told me to call Linksys back. I took my tower to a technician who told me my computer was just "confused" by the change of adapters and was recognizing an old adapter connection I had (since erased). That worked - for two days. Same issue. I looked online to find a solution and have turned off my Firewall and Firewall With Adavanced Security. I have turned off the Sleep Settings. I posted at Microsoft forums and was told to turn off all add-ons and try to determine what the issue is that way. That didn't work. I have run Kaspersky, AVG and SUPERantispyware - no malware or viruses.

Two other suggestions I saw online (but have yet to try) are turning off Windows Defender or making changes to the User Accounts. There are three: Administrator (which can't be turned off), Standard User, and Guest (turned off). But, I have been dubious if these last two are the cause of the problem.

This is driving me absolutely insane! Does anyone have any idea what is possibly going on? There seems to be no solution to this problem, my Vista SP1 run computer just won't recognize my PCI Adapter. ANY advice or help would be appreciated.

Edited by Eesti, 12 July 2008 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users