Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Shows Online After Shutting Down Pc. Bot ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 honeypot

honeypot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

I have a xp and a win2000 on dsl with a router. On the router the xp is plugged into #1 and 2000 into #2. In past when i shut down both pc's, both lights on router went out. Now when i shut down the xp it blinks then stays on and #2 (win2000) goes out as allways. The xp is turned off but seems like still online.
I tryed switching wires but light on router for xp still stays on. Can there be a bot or something keeping the xp online when turned off ??.
I have scanned with my antispyware and antivirus plus houscall but do not find anything.
New and still learning----Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

some computers with ethernet have a wake-on-lan feature, the motherboard is always getting some power even with the computer off, the router just senses this

If you totally cut power to the computer does the light go out?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 honeypot

honeypot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thank you Chewy for fast answer.
I unpluged the power back of pc and yes the router light did go off.
Guess all is fine--just that i was reading how bot's or whatever can use your pc to send out spam et.. but guess not when pc is off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users