Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Microsoft Solution

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:45 PM

In regards to this issue: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry879480, I don't understand what they mean by "Note Values may range from 0x1 to 0xC. These values are equivalent to 1 to 12 in decimal notation." The Knowledge Base article can be found here.

Can someone help me about the 0x1 to 0xC thing? I'm no newbie when it comes to computers, but I'm not an expert either. Reading the above issue may help.

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Hmmm...I just went through that and I don't get it either.

I left the default at 0 and my connection is still working fine. Try that and see if there's any change.

I just closed IE and came back onsite so leaving it at 0 doesn't seem to do any harm.

The suggested link may be another non-fix.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2008 - 07:22 PM.

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

Well I don't even have that entry in my registry. It said to create one, but I don't know what integer or "code" to put as the value. I don't know what 0xC, etc even means... lol

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote to reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

I followed the instructions...which creates the DWORD value of 0.

I ignored what I assume is hexadecimal chatter :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

You could type 12 in decimal then change the value to hexadecimal.
But if its working then there is no need.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

The reason for the note is that the article is instructing you on how to "increase the value of the IRPStackSize registry entry".
So, when you get to Step 4 it tells you to "type a larger value" (larger than the default value of 0).

The note specifies that the hexadecimal values from 0x1 to 0xC are the valid larger values (0x0 being the default value of 0)

0x0 = 0
0x1 = 1
0x2 = 2
0x3 = 3
0x4 = 4
0x5 = 5
0x6 = 6
0x7 = 7
0x8 = 8
0x9 = 9
0xA = 10
0xB = 11
0xC = 12

And, if you continue (these are above the accepted values that are cited in the article)
0xD = 13
0xE = 14
0xF = 15
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:17 AM

Thank you so much for the "translation". It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote to reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#8 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

Well folks, I added that entry into regedit, set at 12 (it changed it to hex for me) and I still get the same error message. What gives?

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#9 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

I have a small wireless home network, but am having troubles with it recently. I only have two computers on the network, my laptop and my desktop. I have no problems connecting to my desktop from my laptop. But when I try to connect to my laptop from my desktop it gives me an error saying I don't have permission.

The error I get when I attempt to connect to my laptop through the network says "___ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

So I was referred to Microsoft Knowledge Base here.

I tried this method first on my desktop, to no avail. Then I tried it on my laptop, which resulted in not even being able to copy/paste files on my desktop, which I was able to do before and during the issue on my desktop.

I'm not a total newbie, so I understand the basics of networking. I even deleted the shortcuts (on my laptop) to my shared folders on my desktop, then tried to use the "wireless network setup wizard", to no avail.

So, as you see, I am in need of some serious help. Any help is much appreciated.

PS: I have a couple of other threads on here regarding the same issue, but a member suggested that I start a new one since I was linking to other posts that I made on the same topic.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

No, no...that message was for the mods or advisors :thumbsup:.

You see, they can manipulate the posts and join the two separate links. They do this all the time when it's known that there are multiple posts by one OP regarding the same subject.

Just sit back and wait for it to happen, my error for not making it clear :flowers:.

Louis

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

As a suggestion to reduce the unnecessary quotes and cluttering up of threads and making them almost unreadable. Please use the following guidelines:

When replying to a post, don't use the Reply button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.

Use either the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

Okay, here's the status on this issue:

On my laptop, in my Network Connections folder, it shows that my Local Area Connection has a Network Cable Unplugged, Firewalled. This is also shown in the system tray. I'm still unable to share files either way.

I never use ethernet cable to connect to my desktop, it has always been via my wireless router, which I have reset a couple of times, hoping that would solve the problem. The "IRPStackSize" solution did nothing to help.

I'm really stuck now. I don't know what to do next... Again, your help is golden!

PS: The remote folders appear in the network node on my laptop, but I get an error sound when I try to connect to the docs on my desktop. Vice versa for desktop to laptop.

Edited by siouxdax, 14 July 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

If you have an ethernet NIC enabled (with drivers installed)...and you don't use it...it should show up as a network cable unplugged. That's normal :thumbsup:. If you want to remove that, you can do so by disabling the unused ethernet connection...either in Device Manager or in the BIOS.

I don't know anything about wireless NICs/connections...I'm still using ethernet cables as my personal preference.

Since one system can connect properly to the other via your router, I would rule the router out.

If the settings for each connection of the home network are the same (exactly), then I have no clue as to why connectivity between the two systems is awry.

To check the settings...look at each connection's Properties. Ensure that each protocol, etc. reflected...is identical on each system.

Ensure that there is no firewall interaction that might not allow access to the other system.

Beyond that...I can only suggest that you wait for inputs from those who have experience with wireless connections.

Do you have any other access problems on either system? Running a program, accessing data, etc.?

The one other thing that I can suggest...is to review Event Viewer errors for the system with the connection problem. Seems to me that there ought to be a clue in there for whatever is impacting your inability to connect/share.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2008 - 08:30 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

Here's something to try to see if it's the network or the computers that are causing the problem.

1) Create a new, administrator account on each computer with exactly the same name and password (you can't just change an old account because of the ways that Windows operates). This is called "Account mirroring"
2) Shut down the systems, then shut down the router
3) Wait 2 minutes and then restart the router.
4) Wait another 2 minutes and restart each computer
5) Log in the new account and see if you can access the other computer then.

If you can access things, then it's a permissions issue within Windows. In short, everything in Windows is granted permissions for each different group that exists. In home networks (workgroups) the default permissions are usually those of the Guest account (even if it's disabled) - so you'll only be able to access things that the Guest account could access (things like Shared Documents, etc)

The two easiest ways around it are:
1) To store all the shared stuff in the Shared folders (Shared Documents, Shared Photos, Shared Music, etc)
2) Use mirrored accounts to effectively enable shared access to resources other than the Shared folders.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

Okay: At this point when I restart my router, both my laptop and desktop say that "a network cable is unplugged". This being a wireless network, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do...

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users