Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad_pool_caller

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hi everyone!
I am working on a friends Dell Dimension 2400 after he tried Dell support and they made his problem worse.
The original problem was a error code 0f00:136c IDE Device Failed...
which I think I have narrowed down to either the DVD or the CDR drive and/or their drivers.
But when the call was placed to Dell, they apparently had him clear his OS using the Recovery Console, and now
when trying to reinstall XP using the Dell OS Reinstallation CD, it gets about 2/3 thru before going to the BSOD and the
Msg BAD_POOL_CALLER 0xz000000c2

I have googled the heck out of all this and any fixes assumes one can access the recovery console again.

It will not let me boot in Safe Mode, and now today whenever I try to F8 ti even try again, I get a "keyboard failure"
And yes I tried another keyboard, same results.
All I have access to is F2 and F12, but can't get anywhere from there either.
I've tried rebooting from CD with both the OS Reinstall (which does just what I described earlier) and the Dell Resource CD,
which only give me a few more options, like Dos prompt, ect.

So how can I get XP to reinstall the rest of the way?

I hope to get some good news soon!
Thanks ahead of time.

Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

A STOP 0xc2 error is usually caused by a bad driver - but can also be caused by bad hardware. The error message points to an IDE device failure - and this could be the CD/DVD drive - but it could also be the hard drive. Have you run any diagnostics on the hard drive? You can usually download a free, bootable diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

As the error occurs in memory, it may also be a good idea to run a memory diagnostic. Here's a free one that I use: http://www.memtest86.com/ Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes - but overnight is better. If you start getting errors you can stop the test right then.

Here's some roubleshooting tips: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=265879&sd=RMVP
But first you'd have to locate the memory dump file - and that's not real easy if Windows isn't booting. If you're able to locate it, upload a copy here and I'll run it through the debugger on my system. If you'd like, you can download the debugger for free and follow these instructions to get started: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

After that, I'd check to make sure that the installation CD is clean and free of scratches. Then I'd remove every piece of hardware that's not essential to startup the system - and see if you can get the installation to go any further. If you suspect the CD/DVD drive, then I'd suggest borrowing another one to install Windows with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

One thing, I had already disconnected both the dvd and cd drives and connected an old cd drive i had. Thats what got rid of the original "optical drive" error.
But still same problem.
I m able to access "Boot to Utility Partition" from both hard drive and Resource CD, ran the express test as well as the extended test, everything passed including the hard drive.
The Reinstall CD seems to be ok. I also unhooked the HD and connected an old Dell Win ME, and was just now able to install XP over the old ME. So the CD works.

How can I run the memory test you showed above, if I can't even access the OS?
That is my whole problem , the original OS is gone, and I can't get the reinstall to work.
Is there a way to access the dump file from dos? (and even then, at some times when I type a command, I get "not ready read drive D" even tho I'm at a C prompt.)?

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:59 PM

memtest86 is a zip containing ISO file which you can burn onto CD using some other computer.
You don't need OS to run memtest86. Just put the CD in the CD drive, it'll boot, and it'll scan the memory for errors.
If you don't see red lines indicating errors right away, let it run several hours.
If you do see red lines, you can stop any time, as it's diagnostic of memory errors, of which Bad pool caller is a sign of sorts.

Under Free downloads, this is the section
ISO images suitable for creating a bootable Memtest86 CD-ROM
Download - Memtest86 v3.4a ISO image (zip)
Download - Memtest86 v3.4a ISO image (gzip)

All above assumes that you can use that CD drive. If it's broken, you will not be able to run the test.

Edited by tos226, 12 July 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

Despite the favorable diagnostic of your hard drive from the Dell utilities - I'd have to wonder about it because you were able to install XP on an older drive - but not on the one that "passed" the diagnostics.

One question tho' - which option did you select when it asked you to format the partition (in the Windows XP installation dialog)? Was it the regular NTFS or was it the "Quick" one? If it was the quick one, I'd go back and try the long/regular one. This'll remedy any file system errors that may be causing the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

The question concerning the format to partition, I do not know what they did originally. When I boot from the cd to reinstall XP on the problem hd, it automatically goes to installing settings, and it has never got to the point of choosing a partition. Either it jumps past that section, or never gets to it before the error msg. (when I successfully installed over the ME drive, it did ask me all that, but I don't remember if it was at the beginning or toward the end of the install. (to which I did convert the FAT to NTFS.))

I have the HD out of his computer and connected as a secondary drive on my other computer, I was able to access all the files, and backed the entire drive to a folder on my main C drive, and am scanning the drive with my CA Antivirus. It has found some stuff and deleted already.

I'll run the memory diag also as soon I get the hd back in the problem computer.

I might try to switch jumpers and reconnect it as the main drive and see if I can re-install XP with it connected to that computer.(?)

Terry

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2008 - 11:02 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

OK... so I won't connect it as the main drive.
But i figure the way i have it now, I was able to back it up, so in case I do get the re-install to eventually work and it wipes it all clean, (or have to format),
and I should be able to run some tests on the drive itself to make sure it is ok. (?)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

You can run tests of the hard drive in question...anytime, as long as that drive is recognized by the system. By all means, that should be done before using the drive with reliability can happen.

I like to start with chkdsk /r, but the manufacturer's diagnostic is a more extensive, better test of the drive status. Generally, users are given an option of using a floppy or a CD/DVD to run the diagnostic, with the long test (if a short and long are offered) being a better procedure.

Louis

#10 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

I've got the hd back in the orig computer now. While it was hooked up to my other old computer, I cleared some minor infections the av found. Then checked the drive with a program called Seagate Tools for Windows, ran a couple different tests and all passed. After hooking it back up to the orig computer, and booted up, it did exactly the same thing as before, it went straight to "installing windows" and asked to insert CD, did that, and as the bar gets to about 2/3 way, BAD_POOL_CALLER comes back and I have to shut down.

I did download the Memtest and it is running right now, going on it's second pass after 1st pass complete, no errors.

The troubleshooting link that USASMA listed, I had already been there and printed. I don't have a clue what it is talking about, except that the Parameter 1 = 0x7 which says something about "attempt to free pool which is already freed" But I still don't know what exactly that means or how do deal with it.

Is debugging something I can try? Nowhere on that Help page does it say anything about how or what to do. At least not in my english.

Any other clues?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

Did you ask SeaTools to check the file system? If not, it'll default to just checking the physical drive. Chkdsk /r will check your hard drive file system.

Debugging the dump file is usually the easiest thing to do - but this is complicated by you not being able to boot into Windows.

My suggestion would be to do the long format of the hard drive from the XP CD. This can also be caused by bad hardware - so I'd unplug/remove anything that you don't need to install Windows.

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:26 PM

I think I tried Chkdsk /r yesterday while I had it booted in dos. That is a dos command, right?
Even tho I was at a C prompt, when I typed chkdsk / r, it shows Invalid switch - /R
If I just type in chkdsk, it shows:
Volume MS-RAMDRIVE created....
.... bytes total disk space
... etc, etc...
Then at the bottom every time it says, "Instead of using CHKDSK, try using SCANDISK. SCANDISK can reliably detect
and fix a much wider range of disk problems."

Is this normal?

All memtests passed.

Edited by AustinTerry, 13 July 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#13 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

Now that i have the hd back connected, I changed the config to boot from hd (trying to remember how to get to a dos prompt) and it comes up "primary drive 1 not found" Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility.
The Setup utility shows the hard drive, so why cant it find it now during boot up?

#14 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

The Seatools only had short/long self test, and short/long generic. the advanced tests said something about possibly
deleting data, so I stayed clear of that. I ran both long self & generic test. all passed.

Now... something pertaining to above, the only way I can get to Dos is by booting up on the Dell Resource CD, and it says something about drive letters being different since there is no A drive. So is it just running dos off the CD and not seeing the hdd? and... maybe that is why I can't run chkdsk /r and it shows the MS-RAMDRIVE, instead of C drive?

Maybe it is time to format, or purchase a new one and be done with it?

Thanks for all the time and effort.
I'm open for some more ideas before resort to drastic measures...

Terry

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

There is no DOS for XP at boot (even though many of us call it "DOS"), which is why old DOS commands may not necessarily work when user is attempting to run them either in XP or in conjunction with XP.

There are DOS commands which can be run from the command prompt...but that's only available from within XP.

To do an install of XP, just use the XP CD to delete partitions, format partitions, and install XP. No need to drift to DOS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users