Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario 1655 Windows 98 Se

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

Just a little help please.

I've received a used Compaq Presario 1655 with MS Windows 98 upgraded to SE; IE5; 64 MB RAM; 85% system resources free. Yes, it's older than Noah but has an awesome sound; I've done the Compaq diagnostics tests that are in it, and it says all is working well. (This was used by a business; they upgraded and I got this free.)

I need security of course, so when I set up an internet connection (will use my dial up numbers which come with the DSL I use with my 2006 laptop), what is out there for free anti virus, free anti spyware, and free firewall that will work with equipment this old?

When it loads from the off position, a page comes up that says a "SYSTEM.INI" file is missing; it says to reinstall and all that, but when I just press enter, it goes ahead and loads all right. I cannot find what won't work without this file. Is there a resource on the internet where I could reinstall this missing file? I do not have original disk or floppies--just the laptop and the power connections.

Thanks in advance for any help and info,
Jackiemarie

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Since all of your questions are about security, I'm going to move your post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/
The AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum

Edited by garmanma, 12 July 2008 - 05:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

In the All Other Applications forum there is a sub-forum titled Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, there are several good anti virus, firewalls, spyware and malware applications.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I like AVG for an anti virus.

Zone Alarm for a firewall.

I also run scans with the following.

SUPERAntiSpyware

Ad-Aware

A-Squared

Edited by dc3, 14 July 2008 - 02:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:20 AM

First of all you have to upgrade various components like :
1. Upgrade IE to v 6.0 SP1 (install updates for it later from MS website)
2. Windows Media Player 9.0
3. DirectX 9.0c
4. Various little patches from Windows Update(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)

After this you can search for latest drivers for your hardware and update.

Even after update DO NOT use IE for web browsing, instead use one of these :
1. Opera 9.51 (recommended)
2. FireFox 2.16 (latest version that supports Win9x/Me)

Unfortunately, FireFox 3.0 does not support Windows 98 anymore. :thumbsup:

Then you can install one of these antiviruses:
1. avast! Home FREE edition (works for win95/98/Me/2000/2003/XP/Vista)
2. AVG 7.5 FREE (version 8.0 wont install in win95/98/Me)

AVG would slow ur 64MB RAM computer down, avast! uses lesser resources. If avast! seems to use more resources you can turn of various components like antispam etc. There are other free antiviruses but they dont work well or consume alot of memory, like Avira antivirus. Also when using avast! Home edition, you dont need a seperate anti-spyware.

You can install one of these FREE firewalls:
1. Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6
2. Jetico personal Firewall
3. Filseclab Personal Firewall

There are other free firewalls, but I dont consider them very good.

Honestly, when it comes to firewall, freeware firewalls do not satisfy me. I use commercial Outpost Firewall, nothing better than that.

I hope you find this information useful.

Edited by Romeo29, 14 July 2008 - 07:27 AM.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

I like AVG for an anti virus.

Zone Alarm for a firewall.

Buddy, latest AVG will not run on Windows 98. Similarly latest ZoneAlarm will not run on Windows 98. Only, older AVG 7.5 and Zonealarm 6.5 supports windows 98/Me.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

If properly installed AVG will work with W98.

Run the AVG Free Edition 7.5 Setup program
Click "Next >" on the AVG "Welcome!" screen
Click "Accept" on the "License Agreement on Use of an AVG Free Edition" screen
Select "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" screen and click "Next >"
Select "Restart the computer now" (pre-selected by the program automatically) and click "OK" on the "Installation Complete!" screen to restart your computer and complete the installation.

This information was found at this web site.

Versions of Zone Alarm prior to the 6.5 release still work with W98. You can download these versions at this site.

Edited by dc3, 14 July 2008 - 09:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

dc3 and Romeo 29,

Thanks to both of you for your great info; I see now what needs to be done; because it's been used in business, I really don't know what might be in it or what's been on it.

Do either of you know about this missing "SYSTEM.INI" file? Everything seems to be working even though it's missing.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help and input.
Jackiemarie

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

It seems you dont have system.ini in your hard disk. Make sure it does not exist, by checking c:\windows\system.ini. Only then you should read further.

CAUTION :
When replacing system.ini, some software may refuse to work. You can simply re-install them. If display adapter or sound card refuses to work, simply re-install their drivers.

Please make a backup of current system.ini if it exists!

SYSTEM.INI file was used in Windows 95/98 for storing information about certain hardware devices. The windows folder (C:\windows) stores this file's backups. The may be renamed as :

system.---
system.000
system.001 etc system.--- is the oldest backup.

To restore, system.ini back, click startmenu->shutdown->restart in MS-DOS.

When computer restarts in MS-DOS type following :

cd\windows
dir system.*

This would list all backep up system.ini files. Pick the latest and rename it as system.ini. For example, you can rename system.000 to system.ini as follows :

ren system.000 system.ini

Now type EXIT or ctrl-alt-del to restart your system back into Windows.

If errors persist, try an older back this time. For example system.---

I hope you find this information useful. :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 15 July 2008 - 02:32 AM.

#9 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

:thumbsup: Oh goodness, I botched this one....I apologize for reading too hastily, Romeo29; here is the gist of the text that comes up when I boot up the Presario:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application....if you still want the application, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PVSW\BIN\BTRBOX95.VXD
Press any key to continue."

I found that this PVSW refers to Pervasive SQL 2000 software which I know nothing about; it's all over the registry etc. So, I'm going to leave this situation alone; thank goodness, that pressing enter several times does eventually take me to the desktop.

Unless you have some insight into whether or not I can/should delete this whole software deal, I'll just leave it as is. By the way, I cannot find a site that lists DOS commands for Windows 98; do you know of any?

Thank you for time and info.
Jackiemarie

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:46 AM

Pervasive is business software that was already in the computer.

http://www.pervasive.com/

#11 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yes, frankp316; I believe the person who had the laptop used it on-the-road to access the company's inventory, place orders, and communicate with the warehouses.

Do you know if there is a way I can determine whether or not it would make the Windows 98 OS unstable if I were to delete all the Pervasive?

Thank you,
Jackiemarie

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

DOS Commands :
Download Dos Help file :
http://rapidshare.com/files/130482294/help_for_dos.zip

Upzip this file in C:\Windows\Command OR just C:\Windows. Open a command prompt, type "help" and you will be able to see help for all commands for DOS.

Basic DOS commands you would want to know about are :
1. copy : to copy files
2. md : make directory
3. rd : remove directory(empty)
4. del : delete files
5. deltree : delete whole folder with subfolders
6. type : to print text file on screen
7. edit : to edit a file
8. ren : to rename files
9. attrib : set attributes
10. dir : list directory

About your system.ini
1. If you really dont need the software, DO NOT just delete the folder c:\pvsw. Instead Uninstall it properly. StartMenu->Control Panel->Add Remove Programs. Select the software name and click Uninstall. Follow the onscreen instructions.

SQL 2000 is SQL server or client(a database application). You may not need this.

2. The BTRBOX95.VXD is virtual device driver file. It is loaded from registry. You can remove all its references from the registry. First make a backup of registry. Run Registry Editor : startmenu->run->regedit

In the registry editor window, select "My Computer" in the left side treeview, now file->export and choose where u want to save registry. If later you have to restore registry from backup simply do this : file->import and choose the backup file.

In the Registry Editor, search for (press Ctrl-F) "BTRBOX95.VXD", delete any references you find( press Del). Press F3 to proceed search further. Repeat the process. When all search is over. Restart your PC.

You should use a registry cleaner software instead. CCleaner(www.ccleaner.com) is a good FREE system cleaner. I bet CCleaner will clean alot of other garbage files from your PC :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 17 July 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#13 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

Wow, Romeo29, I extend my thanks to you for the time and effort you've spent in helping me understand. It is a blessing.
I'm set back a bit because my ATT DSL won't let me set up a dial-up account while the DSL is up and running, so I may have to get internet access another way. It looks like I've got to go out of town on family medical stuff, so it may be some time before I can give you feedback. I'm anxious to search the registry, clean it up, and use the registry cleaner you mentioned. I downloaded the DOS file too.
Thanks again...
Jackiemarie

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

#15 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

As far as I know, ERUNT is only for XP.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

Someone also recommended Sygate 5.6 for a firewall. I believe 5.6 is for XP. But 5.5 will work fine with 98 and Me. It's still an excellent firewall even though it was discontinued when Symantec bought it out.

I recently tested myself at ShieldsUp! and pcflank and I am still completely stealthed on the internet.

All Sygate versions:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

Last update for versions 5x:
http://www.savefile.com/files/267654

Nice Sygate help site:
http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

The last version for 98 and Me is 5.5.2170. I still use it on my XP machine too.

Edited by mommabear, 18 July 2008 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users