Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Not Working Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tdaddy23

tdaddy23

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

Just got done with removing all the maleware that I had. (Thanks again miekiemoes) She let me know that I need to upgrade my windows version(currently sp1). When using windows update the installlation went about half way and stopped because it said I had a file already there and removed it self. Did the same thing when I tried to upgarde explorer 7.

Also it freezes when I close the lid to my laptop when it goes into standby mode. This was working fine before the maleware. Thanks

Edited by tdaddy23, 12 July 2008 - 02:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi, you can download XP SP2 from here. This will take a longgg time to download, this is normal because the file is 266MB. This is usually not the recommended way to install SP2 but since you can't get it from Windows Updates we will do it this way. :thumbsup: Once it downlods, just run it and it should install SP2. I recommend making backups of any files you need just in case something goes wrong. After you install SP2, you should be able to get all of the other updates you need from Windows Updates.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

I would suggest just installing SP3, rather than SP2...but it's user preference.

AumHa Forums View topic - Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

As for general issues...I suggest running chkdsk /r or the equivalent...on any system that has had a malware bout. The instructions for using the Graphical Version of chkdsk will accomplish this. When options are presented, put check marks in the Scan and the Recover options.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

#4 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

Tried to use the above link to upgrade to sp2 and th same error. Says " Service Pack 2 Setup Error" "Cannot create a file when that file already exists". It does not say what file though.

I ran the xp chkdsk to try to fix the problem with freezing when going to standby, but did not work. Any other ideas?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

Go to Start, right click on My Computer and then Properties. On this page you will see System:, under this you will see...

Microsoft Windows XP
The edition
The version
The service pack

What service pack is showing?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

Service Pack 1

#7 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:54 AM

I would suggest just installing SP3, rather than SP2...but it's user preference.

Actually, that is not user preference and installing SP3 from SP1 can be dangerous. Always install SP2 first.

We recommended that you have Service Pack 2 installed before installing SP3.

Quoted from here.

-----

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Disk Cleanup. Run that and see if it works. Otherwise you can download and run CCleaner from here.

Regards,
Adam

Edited by Axephilic, 13 July 2008 - 12:55 AM.

Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:38 AM

Some existing downloads are interfering with your new updating.

Go to C:Windows/SoftwareDistribution. Highlight and delete everything in that folder. Reboot, and start your updating again. Let us know how you get on.

#9 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:25 AM

sorry to butt in but it is extremely recommended that you should download SP2 then SP3 not go and install SP3 straight away as it will cause problems during or after the installation.

#10 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

tried to delete that folder contents and error saying
cannot delete {f9ec5fce-dd23-4d16-af9f-82038136c68d}.bin. It is being used by another person or program.

same with reportingevents tex doc

#11 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Disable autoupdates in services.msc
Delete the contetents of C:\windows\software distribution
Turn autoupdates back on
Restart your pc
Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

#12 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

Thanks I will try that.

Ideas on windows freezing when putting in stand by

#13 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

did the above in deleting the folder and tried to update again. same error message and saying file already exists.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

Why not try slipstreaming SP2 and SP3 into a new CD...and then installing from that CD?

Windows Update becomes considerably unnecessary if SP3 is slipstreamed...about 100 updates eliminated post-SP2.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Slipstream-XP-SP...-o-t119528.html AND http://www.ditii.com/2008/07/05/slipstream...nto-windows-xp/

Contrary to what some may think, any version of XP with SP1...can be slipstreamed successfully with SP3.

Louis

#15 tdaddy23

tdaddy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

Still doing rsearch on sp3. Dont want to install that release right now. Dont have my windows cd to do the above option. Is there another folder that can be modified to allow sp2 to be installed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users