Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbuntu Installation Problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DLLN

DLLN

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Alright I tried to install Ubuntu in my local E drive which hasn't been used at all yet. Something went wrong so i wanted to uninstall Ubuntu from add and remove in windows. I did that and when i rebooted Ubuntu still booted up. Then i went to windows and looked at the Properties of my Local E and it now says its 15Gb(which was the amount i assigned for the Ubuntu OS) and before the drive was 104Gb. WHAT THE HELL, where did all the hard dirve space and my didn't Ubuntu unstall?? I still would like to run Ubuntu when i sort this out. Can i just format my local drive E with out affecting my Drice C which has all my windows files on it.

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

From your description it seems like you might have the partitions backwards.
Windows can not see partitions formatted for Linux (typically ext3) so it is
only reporting what it can see as NTFS or FAT32.
Boot your PC from the Ubuntu CD and follow these instructions for resizing the partition.
http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/21/partition...-using-gparted/

Next I suggest trying the Wubi installer since it requires no partitoning at all.
http://wubi-installer.org/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 DLLN

DLLN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

So i ended up formatting drive E and it still says it's 15Gb even though before i installed Ubuntu it was 104Gb. Also when i turn on my computer Ubuntu is still an OS option to boot up in. But it's not just one Ubuntu it's about five different ones, two of them say "recovered" in bracktes! I have know idea whtat do??? Sad Please help I just want to start with just my windows again with a Drive E of 104Gb so i can install Ubuntu correctly.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

Formatting does not resize the partition. It only formats the space that is seen.
At some point during the Ubuntu install you chose to "resize".
This can be undone following the instructions on the link I provided.
It needs to be done from the Ubuntu LiveCD so that E is not mounted.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users