Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PMM

PMM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hopefully someone here can help me with a problem that has just cropped up with my computer. I have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, which is about a year and a half old (and out of warranty of course). My OS is Windows XP Home. I access the internet via cable broadband through a linksys wireless router. The problem first arose two days ago. Upon boot up, AOL worked fine however Mozilla Firefox would not open any websites. If I attempted to use AOL after opening Firefox, it was not able to connect, although it showed a good signal and said it was connected. When I used the Windows repair option it could not renew my IP address and would not complete. In addition upon opening Mozilla a message pops up from Nortons saying that it had detected and prevented an internet worm from gaining access. At first Internet Explorer was also still working properly, but over the last day or so the same thing has been happening with it as well - including the Nortons message. I have run Spysweeper and Spybot and they have found nothing but cookies, but since this is happening with Firefox and IE but not AOL, I'm assuming its not a hardware issue. I've reset the router several times and this hasn't helped either. I downloaded and ran a hijackthis scan, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Pete

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users