Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psu Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

Okay, so I'm building a new rig for budget gaming mostly, but also graphic design blah blah. The problem is, I still don't really understand how to figure out how much power I really need. I've built another computer, but I just used the case's PSU. The PSU I'm looking at says it run quad-SLI which is what I eventually want to be able to run. Another 9800Gx2 will be my next upgrade. Or a different CPU.

But here's what my new setup is going to be.
Motherboard:
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
RAM:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Graphics Card:
EVGA 01G-P3-N895-A3 GeForce 9800 GX2 KO 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card (SOON I'll be updating to two of these, so I'm keeping that in mind when I buy the PSU)
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Drive:
CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/PATA 20X DVD±R DVD Bulk Burner

I'm looking for a good PSU that can support what I need.
The PSU I'm looking at:
ZALMAN ZM850-HP Continuous 850W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply
Reviews are good, and it seems like it would be able to support what I need.
ANY suggestions on a PSU or on my rig in general are perfectly welcome. Thanks for you time, and help in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

The big determining factor here is your graphics card, the minimum system requirements call for a 580W PCI Express®-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 40A or more.

That PSU will work just fine with your system.

Edited by dc3, 12 July 2008 - 11:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

Would it be sufficient for 2 9800 GX2's? Without sparing quality, or reliability of a stable system?

Also: Do you think I'd have any power left over for a physics processor?

Edited by shiftplusone, 12 July 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

850-watt is more than enough for that set-up, even with 2 9800GX2's. They use a lot of power, but 850 watts is plenty.

One thing I was wondering is if the 780i's support quad-SLI? I'm pretty sure they do, but I can't find anywhere that it says that board does.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Your PSU should be sufficient for two 9800GX2's. However, you should also factor in efficiency and a deterioration of performance over time. About 80 to 85 percent of that 850W will be usable and over time, it may go down further. For now, you can run your PC just fine. You should be able to use quad-SLI but not a sextuple-SLI (never thought I would use that word with SLI for a while) since they don't contain another SLI connector.

3939.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:03 AM

Anything above 80% efficiency is considered to be good, and the Zalman is rated at 86% @ load operating temperature. The one truth in regards to electronics is that when circuits are running they are generating heat, and this is the loss of efficiency. This PSU running at 86% efficiency can lose as much as 17% of its wattage in heat. This means that this 850W PSU may actually be drawing over 900W from the wall.

Yes, a PSU will lose power over a period of time, but the amount is usually negligible, and it could be well over a year before you would be able to measure that loss. The Zalman PSU being used in the system that is being considered is going to be like breaking eggs with a sledgehammer as far as performance goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

I'm just going to suggest a different motherboard with a better memory speed. I recently built one that was much like this one, but not quite as good with the graphics card and PSU, but my vista ratings are almost all 5.9, except for the memory operations per second, which is at 4.5. It just bothers me a bit, because i was going to get a faster RAM speed before i changed back to a DDR2 800 RAM supporting motherboard.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#8 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

For now, you can run your PC just fine. You should be able to use quad-SLI but not a sextuple-SLI

Will the 9800 GX2's be able to run that? Sextuple? Cause I may look at that for as a future (maybe next summer) option. But would 850 be able to support that power wise?
Or should I wait, and get the 850 now, since I'm on a sort of 1500 budget.

I'm just going to suggest a different motherboard with a better memory speed. I recently built one that was much like this one, but not quite as good with the graphics card and PSU, but my vista ratings are almost all 5.9, except for the memory operations per second, which is at 4.5. It just bothers me a bit, because i was going to get a faster RAM speed before i changed back to a DDR2 800 RAM supporting motherboard.

What would you suggest? I was looking at the 790i version from EVGA, but that's 100 dollars more, not to mention the price jump from DDR2 to DDR3. And I've heard it's got oodles of problems right now because of new technology glitches. Have you heard otherwise? I'd rather go for a reliable system, than take a $200-$300 leap into the realm of faster but less reliable.

The 780i has reallly good ratings, but if you have any suggestions I'l of course take a look at them. That's why I came here. Suggestions and comments. I'm not going to leave any out just because I've heard good things about one thing.

Thanks everyone for you time :thumbsup: and good to know that PSU WILL work haha

#9 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

For now, you can run your PC just fine. You should be able to use quad-SLI but not a sextuple-SLI

Will the 9800 GX2's be able to run that? Sextuple? Cause I may look at that for as a future (maybe next summer) option. But would 850 be able to support that power wise?
Or should I wait, and get the 850 now, since I'm on a sort of 1500 budget.

What would you suggest? I was looking at the 790i version from EVGA, but that's 100 dollars more, not to mention the price jump from DDR2 to DDR3. And I've heard it's got oodles of problems right now because of new technology glitches. Have you heard otherwise? I'd rather go for a reliable system, than take a $200-$300 leap into the realm of faster but less reliable.

The 780i has reallly good ratings, but if you have any suggestions I'l of course take a look at them. That's why I came here. Suggestions and comments. I'm not going to leave any out just because I've heard good things about one thing.

Thanks everyone for you time :thumbsup: and good to know that PSU WILL work haha

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186134

Of course, thats a bit more of a gamble, but it might work fine for you. I wish I would be able to upgrade my RAM to a faster speed with my current motherboard, even if I wouldn't ever do it. I see what you mean by its a large cost jump.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#10 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

I'm not sure if I want to take a "gamble" though is my problem. I really want to make sure everything will work as well as I can. I'm thinking of going with the 790i from EVGA, and just getting 2GB of RAM DDR3 1333.

Any suggestions?

My options are somewhat like this:
Get the 780i with 4gb DDR2 and eventually going up to 8gb
Get the 790i with 2gb DDR3 and hopefully go to 4 soon. and so on and so forth.

I personally feel like the 780i is a good option but I'm slowly gravitating towards the 790i, so any advice would be grand. Thanks a lot everyone

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:19 PM

I don't see any mention of the OS you will be using, so I will just toss this out there. Unless you are going to be using a 64-bit OS you will not be able to use anything larger than 4GB of RAM. A 32-bit OS will recognize a maximum of 4GB or RAM.

#12 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:23 PM

I'm thinking dualbooting XP 64 and Vista 64. I have them both, but would that be pointless for gaming? a 64 bit? I'm not sure

* I just remember that when I ran XP 64, I was annoyed with drivers and installing things. That was about a year and a half ago, though.

Edited by shiftplusone, 15 July 2008 - 11:34 PM.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

The 64-bit implementation of XP is nowhere near as good as Vista's. It also has problems with drivers and compatibility with programs. Vista 64 has ironed some of the issues out, I have been able to play every game of mine on it. Also, the computer would be able to see all 4GB if you use a 32-bit OS, you just won't be able to use it all because of memory addressing. This is not a problem in 64-bit OS's, the entire 4GB is usable.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users