Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kevorkian

Kevorkian

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

Hello, I recently have purchased a 5.1 Logitech speaker set and Creative sound card from Newegg and have been having trouble with the clarity for about a month or two now. ( Link:Sound Card -http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-176&depa=0)

I thought I disabled my on board sound from my MSI motherboard through the control panel option sounds and devices. I disabled and deleted Realtek AC'97 ( Was that a bad move?) controller from the Hardware list, but I am hearing occasional static and as if the music was running a little slower at times than it should. What shows on this list in control panel is as follows; Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ( It says its running properly ) , Multimedia Audio Controller, Audio Codecs, Media Control Devices, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Video Codecs are all under the hardware list. I have tried to look under my bios for another way to turn off the on board sound ( since I assume that is my problem ) and could not find any option, I thought dealing with it through control panel would work. I was also having problems playing music off the CD-ROM, the music would come through a lot slower than it should and sound a bit distorted at times. I tried connecting an analog CD audio cable as suggested in the Sound Blaster instructions but it hasn't fixed my problem. ( The cable I used was connected to a 4 tooth slot on the motherboard next to the first PCI slot. I disconnected the cable, I figured since it was a 4 port comming from the back of the CD-ROM it was an analog audio cable? I then reconnected the end that was attached to the mother board to the open slot on the card. The sound seems reasonable enough to listen to a CD through my CD-RW drive instead, it still isn't a clear as it should be though. I have tested the speakers on another PC and they work fine, the speakers wouldn't account for the slow up anyway. I have also tried all of the options under the EAX menu's and none seem to get rid of the random static that seems to jump in or the slow up that accompanies it. I would appreciate any and all of the help I can get, thank you for your time.

Edited by Kevorkian, 12 April 2005 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:31 AM

Dear Kev,

I am currently running a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with Creative speaker system 4.1 and I have had my share of problems as well.

Since you are running a digital speaker system, you can not use a analog cable. Unless you you go to your speaker settings and uncheck the digital only box.

Your speakers, especially Logitech, do matter. Go to the Creative speaker calibrator and see if it recognizes your setup.

Calibrate your speakers! Since I assume you are running CDROM's with only analog outputs (4 pin) you will have to uncheck the digital only box. Sorry.

If you see on the back of your CDROMS a 2 pin connector (digital) use that. You can pick up that cable online or such.

Also, run your analog or digital cables to the sound card not motherboard. Creative Labs are so smart they have outsmarted themselves and most other companies. :thumbsup:

Most manufactures have to play catch up to them, which creates issues.

Let us know,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users