Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charley30

Charley30

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

I have windows XP home. Vostro 400, and Inspiron 1600. Periodically I have to clean reinstall XP. I use system restore as much as possible. My question is in the old days when I worked at a major company, I remember IS doing a clean install on everyone's computer. It was old operating system, probably Windows 98. They went to start-run- and then put in a command like msconfig. Not that just using as an example. The command totally wiped the system. Then they just put in the CD and reinstalled. I remember they said this was the best way to insure there is not virus etc. left behind. Maybe with XP this is not necessary. I have been trying to research but have not been able to find. Is this still a good method to reinstall and if yes what is the command.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

There those that will argue as to whether it is better to wipe the drive with a utility which will completely overwrite the entire contents of the hdd. Reformatting the hdd is the most common practice currently, this can be done with the installation CD. There are command lines for many functions in W2k and XP, but DOS commands are a thing of the past in most regards to the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hello, you will need the CD and this is a good guide to read.
Michael Stevens Tech

Clean Install Windows XP
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

It sound like they were formatting the hard drive before installing Win98 - the XP disk can do the same thing for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the responses. The last time I just put the reinstall cd in and followed instructions which were very easy. When I read the article which was excellent, it did make it sound a lot more complicated. But I will try and follow the next time I have to do a reinstall. The one thing I still do not understand is all of the articles etc. state it should be a last resort. I realize system restore is easy but do get bad virus which corrupts system restore also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users