Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Vm Update Loop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gszeman

gszeman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hello,

First of all I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum...wasn't quite sure where it fit in.

I have Microsoft Automatic Updates enabled. I get a notification that updates are ready to install, in particular it's the Microsoft Virtual Machine. I run the update, and get an error message:

Microsoft VM
This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM.

I click OK and it says I need to restart the computer...when I restart, it's telling me I need to install the update again! I've read a couple of posts regarding this, but they seem pretty outdated and don't really apply to my operating system. The Microsoft support site just confused me more...

I'm running Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
SP2

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

The Microsoft Java Virtual Machine was discontinued in 2001 in response to the Sun Microsystems lawsuit. Your build is dated 2002, I would delete the update and ignore it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

What's the update?

What version of VM are you using?

If you are running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type: cmd

3. At the command prompt, type: jview
If a message displays information about Java, you have the MSJVM installed on your computer.
If a message displays 'Jview' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file, you do not have the MSJVM installed on your computer.

I don't have it installed, but I have a MS OEM version of XP and have the Sun version of Java installed.

Reference Purposes Only: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q299672/

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2008 - 10:03 AM.

#4 gszeman

gszeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

Hi Luis,

The update is: 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

I don't have Microsoft VM installed...I have the Sun version of Java installed...latest build.

I'm using an HP Pavilion DC5000

dc3: I have deleted the update...but everytime automatic update checks for updates it comes back...

#5 gszeman

gszeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:14 AM

Sorry...it's a DV5000 (typo...)

I think I have it resolved...I deleted the registry entries for all of the MICROSOFT java occurances. I rebooted and haven't seen an update as of yet...hopefully this did it.

Glenn

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:16 AM

We will keep our fingers crossed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users