Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connnect Vista Computer To Win 2000 Printer Share

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roberta47

roberta47

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

Hi all.

I am running a peer to peer network of three computers. All have the same workgroup name. Two of the machines are running Windows 2000 Pro SP4. The third machine, the problematic one, is running Windows Vista Basic with 1.5GB of RAM. Up until yesterday, everything worked just hunky dory.

I have a Samsung ML-1740 connected to the first Windows 2000 Pro computer via an LPT port and it shared as SamsungM. Until yesterday, I was able to print to this printer from the Windows Vista Basic machine. I tried uninstalling the printer from the Vista machine and reinstalling. While I am able to see the share on from the Vista machine I get the following error when trying to connect to it: WINDOWS CANNOT CONNECT TO THE PRINTER. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MEMORY. TRY CLOSING SOME PROGRAMS AND TRY AGAIN.

This of course happens even when I start in diagnostic mode. I have tried installing the newest Vista drivers for the printer. I have read some places that installing the printer as a local printer and then creating a new local port, pointing to the URL of the printer share has worked for some people, however, I am not really sure what I am doing in that regard and have failed to get it to work. I cannot even figure out how to give the new local port a name that is valid.

I'd appreciate any help you can give on this problem.

TIA,
Roberta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

Hello roberta47,

Try using http://www.networkmagic.com/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 roberta47

roberta47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

Thanks Alan. Will try.

Roberta

#4 roberta47

roberta47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Alan,

Unfortunately, Network Magic did not help. I did finally get it to work by connecting the directly to the Vista computer and installing it with a USB connection as a local printer. Next I went into the printer's properties and added a local port which I named \\Computer1\ShareName. I unplugged the printer from the Vista computer and reattached it to the Win 2000 computer and voila! Everything's working fine now.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

What are the components of the vista machine? CPU,RAM etc
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users