Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Modems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

I'm pretty decent with using computers, but I know very little about various hardware. I have one desktop PC, and have no intentions or interest in any "wireless" applications at this time. I have DSL provided by Qwest, and use the Actiontec GT-701WG DSL modem that they provided me with when I signed up. I have enjoyed browsing forums like BC for a few years now, and have learned just about every tip and trick to make Firefox run faster. That said, on to my questions:

Would a different modem increase my Internet speed? If no, then my next questions are void. But if yes: Would it work properly simply by hooking it up, or would I have to contact Qwest to check for compatibility? Can anyone recommend any specific makes and models, and perhaps supply some tips on a reputable retailer where I could get a good price for one?

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richyrichuk

richyrichuk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

the modem supplied could have some restrictions on them..

like the sky sagem modem/router, has something silly like a second delay before it tries to reach the DNS servers, im not sure if thats still enforced on sky routers but im sure it use to be.

but without seeing more specs it could be hard to tell.. and even if there are, u wouldnt see a great deal of improvement anyway from my experience.

hope that helped.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

This might be worthwhile reading
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13388402
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

Sorry for the delay; I got side-tracked. Thank you for the replies. Sounds like it would make very little, if any, difference. I will let this one go. Thank you again for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users