Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Users Lose Connectivity After Microsoft Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

ZoneAlarm users found an unpleasant surprise this week when they installed the latest Microsoft Security Updates. If you use ZoneAlarm and installed the Microsoft Security Update KB951748, then you may have found that you are now having issues connecting to the internet. This is caused by a conflict between Zone Alarm and changes made by the Microsoft Update.

This issue is only affecting ZoneAlarm users who have their security level set to High. Some sites are recommending that you change your security level to Medium in order to resolve this issue. We do not think that is the correct answer as you are putting your computer at risk by lowering the security level. Instead, if you are using ZoneAlarm and are having these problems you should use the guide below to resolve your issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brotherZ

brotherZ

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

I experienced the same problem too. I had to completely remove Zone Alarm on my PC to make it work again.

#3 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

Actually since I choose not to automatically Install Windows Updates I got away with it :thumbsup:, I had already read all the Stories flying around the Web before it asked me to Install the Windows Updates including the Security Update mentioned, so I just waited till the Fix a week later and then updated the Security on Windows. Although I did backup my Data a bit during that week.

#4 amancio

amancio

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Well, I haven't installed zone alarm, but I also have problems with "Software Distribution Service 3.0. Ihave to RESTORE my PC to a point before that is installed. Is there a way to prevent my PC from installing that package from Microsoft?

#5 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

To stop Windows Updates Installing Automatically follow this - Start > My Computer > View System Information > "Automatic Updates" Tab > Then set it to one of the other Options.

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users