How to fix connectivity problems for users of ZoneAlarm
ZoneAlarm users have intermittent problems connecting to the Internet.
This problem is caused by a conflict between ZoneAlarm and the new Microsoft Security Update, KB951748.
There are three ways to resolve this issue.
Option 1: This is the recommended solution
Download the latest updates for ZoneAlarm. Links to the update can be found on this ZoneAlarm page.
The current updates are:
- ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
- ZoneAlarm Pro
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus
- ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
- ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall
Option 2: Not recommended
This option entails changing the security settings in ZoneAlarm. This is not advised as it may make your computer vulnerable to attacks from outside your network.
- Open ZoneAlarm
- Go to the ZoneAlarm Firewall panel.
- Click on the Firewall tab.
- Change the Internet Zone slider to Medium.
Option 3: Definitely not recommended
Note: Microsoft Security Updates should never be removed as it could cause your computer to be vulnerable to remote attacks.
If you still wish to remove the Microsoft update, you can follow the instructions in the tutorials below to uninstall the
- Click on the Start button.
- Click on the Control Panel option.
- Double-click on the Add or Remove Programs icon.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Show updates.
- Scroll through the list till you see the entry for Security update for Windows (KB951748).
- Click once on the entry to select it.
- Click on the Remove button and follow the prompts.
As always, if these steps do not resolve your issues, feel free to post your problem in the forums.