Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings From New Member

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wsr2355

wsr2355

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:06 AM

Good Day Fine BleepingComputer Folks:

Your wonderful site has provided a wealth of information for me as a lurker through my initial introduction via Google while trying to rid a computer of several instances and varieties of Vundo. Most regretably they all failed, but so did every other site advice I found and every tool I tried. Fortunately the primary hard drive had a small separate partition for the OS which could be recovered with a One-Touch and that's what I ended up needing to do. There were some lost programs and files that loaded by default to the C drive but it was a small price to pay for getting a functional computer back.

I am a recently retired pediatrician who has been a computer enthusiast (note the absence of the word expert) for more than 20 years, going back to the DOS days. I've built a couple dozen computers in that time and only occassionally had to ask for sophisticated help. Until VISTA.

Out of pure and simple and absolute and unforgivable negligence I burned up the CPU and MB on my trustworthy, loyal, much beloved, and always faithful 17 inch 11 lb $3000 HP laptop running my favorite OS Win XP Pro. It was really a desktop substitute that could be easily moved about the house but was not what anyone would consider portable in the ordinary "laptop" sense. How I could have ignored the warning signs (and there plenty of them), or even fail to perform the appropriate preventive maintenace on a machine I loved so well completely escapes me. I have no excuse. If this were a patient I should have been sued. Instead, what was my pride and joy is now worth $38 to HP's recycling company, if I don't take the unharmed hard drive and memory out. If I do they don't want it. (I already did)

The good luck, for a while, was that because I was starting to travel to visit family and needed to keep in touch with some business online, I had gotten an actual 6 pound laptop and an express card which of course came with VISTA. (My teeth grit just saying that word.) I never had a bit of problem with any version of Windows except ME and just adored the intuitive ease of use of XP Pro which I used for the past 10 or so years. It was a shock to switch. And then to be forced to use the V word OS exclusively after the demise of the HP was worse yet. Then Vundo and I had no functioning computer at all. So I quickly got a real desktop and a real monitor, both of which I love (except of course for the OS) and I was back in business. The Vundo issue got solved (the infection was my fault too by the way) but I have more OS questions and error messages and Kaspersky Defense permission requests (I won't trust McAfee again) about processes I never heard of. Up until now I was living in this little bubble of XP utopia and oblivious to the passage of time and new issues and diagnostics. I read some of the logs posted here and their analyses and just shake my head, realizing how far behind I really am. The stone age.

Comparing the attitude and reception that users receive from the members on this site to some others is really remarkable. Most sites seem to be willing to offer help, but some do it like a marine drill seargent barking orders and castising users if their "suggestions" are not followed to the letter. Or stop helping altogether, even when it's clear that the user did not understand the instruction. I have not seen that happen here. Just the opposite. You folks are patient and pleasant and I think might even be able to tolerate questions from me. Now that will be a feat!

Nice to meet you.

Steven Johnson

Edited by wsr2355, 12 July 2008 - 01:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:09 AM

Welcome to BC wsr2355 good to see you here :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users