Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lcd's Backlight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 K.Rayne

K.Rayne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

So as I was using my Fujitsu laptop last night, the screen grew dim and then went completely black. However, if I look really closely, I can still vaguely see what's going on. The system is still running, that's all fine, but the screen is just super dim.
I googled and even "chatted" with the Fujitsu "computer support" people, and they told me that the backlight on my laptop has burnt out. So if I want them to fix my laptop's screen, it will cost me $920 which is a sizable chunk of what my laptop cost me when I bought it new 4 years ago. I am just wondering if anyone on the bleeping computer forum knows if the backlight in a Fujitsu laptop can be replaced by someone who's far from a computer expert (i.e. me). and maybe if someone knows of a good, detailed tutorial?
I did read about the mercury and everything, I know that, but 920 dollars?! and that's not even including tax! Sorry, but being the broke college girl that I am, I can't afford that much.
If I'm unable to repair the screen myself or find some place that can repair it for a reasonable price, I was wondering if it's possible to hook my laptop to a monitor and just do that from now on? I know that you can normally, but since my laptop screen isn't working, will what I see on the external monitor be normal (i.e. not black and dim)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hi K.Rayne, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Would you please provide us with the model of this laptop.

Most laptops you can connect to an external monitor, the problem that you are describing is of the screen malfunctioning and shouldn't have any effect on the use of an external monitor.

There is a switch that turns off the monitor where the lid makes contact with the base, see if it is depressed or stuck in the closed position.

Are you comfortable working inside the laptop? If so, check out this tutorial, it is pretty easy to follow and has photos to guide you.

Edited by dc3, 12 July 2008 - 01:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 K.Rayne

K.Rayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! :]

My laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook S6210. It's definitely not the switch that turns off the lid.
In all honesty, I'm not comfortable fiddling with what's inside my laptop, since I haven't been able to find any guides specific to Fujitsu laptops. I've never been much of a hardware person.

I guess I should probably go with the external monitor? This may seem like a silly question, but will any monitor do? Since my laptop has a female vga connector, should i try to find a monitor that has a male plug or will I just need to buy a cable? And once connected to the external monitor, will my laptop always recognize the monitor or will I have to press Fn+F10 everytime?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

The D connector of most monitors are male, you shouldn't have any problems. It should be a plug and play device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 K.Rayne

K.Rayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

So then most monitors come with everything ready? Like I won't have to buy a cable or something?
Sorry, but what do you mean by play device?
And I hate to bug you again, but are there any brands that I should avoid? Would you know of a review site maybe for monitors?
Thank you!!!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

A monitor usually comes with two plugs, the plug that goes to the wall plug, and the D connector that connects to the computer. Plug and play, you plug in the device and it works, it's that simple. Monitors are pretty much a matter of personal choice, if you are a poor starving student and have room on you desk, look for a used CRT monitor, they're dirt cheap. If you were here I would give you the choice of two for free just to see them gone!

Edited by dc3, 12 July 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#7 K.Rayne

K.Rayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:14 AM

And I would so gladly take it.
I was talking with my parents, and there's a chance they might be willing to help me in purchasing an LCD monitor. But I was wondering, would the same problem that occurred with my laptop's screen (the inverter/backlight dying out) happen with an external LCD monitor? Do external LCD monitors last longer? Or am I screwed either way?
(I wish I knew someone or could find someone who can fix my laptop -_-)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:25 AM

There is always going to be the chance of a failure, it's the nature of electronics. The type of problem that you have experienced with the LCD display is common with laptops, but not that common with a stand alone LCD monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users