Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosting Warcraft3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HCRDAN

HCRDAN

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hello,

I'm not a gamer, but my 12 year old plays Warcraft3 on his laptop and over the net connects to his friends. He would like to "host games". Not being a gamer, I am not quite sure what that entails, and what potential issues in terms of security (viruses, personal identity, etc...) that might arise if I allow him to do so.

Any advice from those of you who are more experienced in this area? Is it "safe" to allow him to host games?

Thank you.

Edited by HCRDAN, 11 July 2008 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:43 PM

I've been playing Warcraft 3 online for over four years now, and I have seen this problem many times. When you have a router it has a firewall that blocks certain things. In Warcraft 3, a port is blocked by your router which lets you host games.

I've never seen any cases where someone gets a virus from hosting a game in warcraft. When you host a game, you create a game "lobby" in which people can join. Once the host decides to start the game, everyone goes to a loading screen, and must wait for everyone to load the map. Everyone is connecting to the host to play the game. When people with dial-up host games, the game is usually very laggy. You can think of whoever is hosting the game as being a mini game server. I wouldn't worry about viruses from this.

Your son wants to host games because then he can play the games he chooses to play with other people. If you can't host, you'll have to wait to join someone elses game, and if he can't find anything he want's to play, it can be very boring.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users