Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection stopped

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kaneshansley

kaneshansley

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hi, everyone,

In a nutshell, my internet connection (through our local cable company) just stopped yesterday for no reason. "That page is unavailable."

I plugged and unplugged all the connections. I called the cable company and went through an hour of gyrations with them, and they say it's not from their end, that it's something in my REGISTRY and that I have to call the computer manufacturer.

I'm using Windows XP Home edition with a COMPAQ computer. Any ideas what could have suddenly made it stop with no warning? Nothing has changed (as far as I know). I'm sending this message on my laptop with a dial up connection.

Thanks,
Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:38 AM

Now please Download LSPFix from:

LSP-Fix

Run the program and check immediately press the finish button.

Then Reboot.

To see a tutorial on how to use this program click the link below:

Using LSP-Fix to remove LSP Spyware & Hijackers

Let us know if its better now

#3 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

Thank you for your response. The weird thing is that the connection started again later that night, but for no reason that I could ascertain (ugh!). I did run the LSP application, and the webdll (malicious) file wasn't listed, but I will keep this program and the instructions handy for next time (and there's ALWAYS a next time).

Thanks again,
Karen

#4 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

Hi, it's me again. My internet connection is still very spotty. Sometimes I can get on, but like last night, I couldn't get on at all. Sometimes if I run spybot and adaware, and the LSP file you gave me, it will come back on, but sometimes not.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Karen

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:55 AM

Do you run an Instant Messenger program?
If yes: does this program disconnect also when the connection drops?
Or is it just web pages you are having trouble with?
When the Tech said it was not on their end where you online?
And one more question: What brand of cable modem do you have?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

I don't use IM but my kids do on their accounts. They say the IM goes down as well. I was not online when the rep said it wasn't from their end. I have a Webstar cable modem.

Thanks,
Karen

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:30 AM

I woul dmake your cable company diagnose this further. Really does like something on their end.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:23 AM

Have you recently uninstalled ZoneAlarm or another firewall that is a ZA clone?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

>Have you recently uninstalled ZoneAlarm or another firewall that is a ZA clone?<
No, I don't think so. Today, for example, has been no trouble!
Karen

#10 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

This morning I couldn't log on (again). I unplugged and replugged my cable modem. The two bottom lights (data and cable) did not come back on. I called customer service and they had me reset it, and my connection worked again.

The rep asked if I'd contacted my computer company and she asked if they walked me through reinstalling my winsock file. I said no (because I didn't contact them), but when she mentioned winsock that reminded me that when the connection doesn't work, down on the bottom of explorer where it usually says logging onto cnn.com, it will say something about Windows32 and winsockdll. So, is this something I need to check out?

Thanks,
Karen

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

There is no way its your winsock. They are being tpyical customer support people and not taking the blame on this. The fact that resetting your cable modem fixed the problem shows its a problem on their end. They need to either replace the cable modem or fix the problem on the line.

#12 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

Thanks, Lawrence. I will remember this next time it goes out.
Karen

#13 Guest_bg fun_*

Guest_bg fun_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Sad truth time... :thumbsup: there are advertisements on the web that pop up and say "Your system is infected!" Then, if you click yes, it downloads software, acting like you need it or it will help in some way.

These ads are lying. They actually load spyware and malware and you don't realize that you have done it. You just thought you were answering a question, yes or no, and you did what the system recommended.

All of this introduction comes to a point; ZoneAlarm will cut off your Internet... i'm not asking how it got there... here is how you get rid of it!

Click your Start button. Choose Settings->Control Panel or just Control Panel. Click on Add/Remove Programs. While that loads, get up, stretch, do some yoga or punch pillows or something until the time has passed... eventually the list of programs shows up; scroll down to the bottom of the list. Is ZoneAlarm there?

Of course, before you click to remove this thing, you have to wonder, "am I going to trust this internet post? Doesn't the thing keep me safe somehow?"

So ask yourself, who put that program there? Was it your uncle that has worked for IBM for twenty years? Was is the whiz kid who ttly pwns all the newest gamez?? Or, did you install it by accident one time when you were surfing the web drunk? :flowers:

Click Remove to remove the ZoneAlarm program. Say yes you really want to get rid of it. Finish the uninstall and reboot your computer. Start up your browser and see if it worked.

Good luck! :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users