Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen On Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Syntra

Syntra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

So I decided to upgrade my PC! Sounds fun, right? Well not so much right now.

Here are my specs:

Pentium D 2.8GHZ (not sure of the model exactly, and I know I probably shoulda upgraded that too)
EVGA 8800GS (new)
Biostar 945GC-M7 (new to this PC,)
2GB of RAM (one is Wintec (new), not sure of the other)
WD 250GB HDD
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
Samsung Spinpoint 160GB HDD
A 120GB HDD which I don't know the manufacturer of.
Generic Acer monitor.

I installed XP just fine. Installed some drivers, and thought everything'd be cool when I restarted. Oh how wrong I was. Black screen after the XP Loading/Boot Screen. I can move the mouse (which shows up), I tried waiting roughly three minutes, I tried pressing buttons (alt tab, ctrl alt del, start l), again nothing. So I restart, XP comes up like "Hey, your stuff is fail. Do you still wanna start Windows normally?" So when I say Yes, it gives me the same thing. When I say "Last good configuration, please", My drivers are inept. (I think there still there, but they aren't doing anything).

And to the people that responded to me, taking away one of the sticks of RAM worked fine, thank you!

Edited by Syntra, 11 July 2008 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hello Syntra, and welcome.

Have you disabled the on-board graphics? My last machine experienced the same problem and disabling the on-board graphics solved the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

Biostar 945GC-M7 (new to this PC, which is why I'm gonna reformat and reinstall XP). I turn on my PC (which used to work fine), and nothing comes up on the screen.

Does this mean you're still trying to boot the previous Windows installation on the new system? This will usually not work, as Windows is all set up for the previous hardware, which isn't there anymore. You should boot up from the XP installation CD and do at the least a Repair installation, or a clean new installation onto a new HDD.

If that's not the situation (eg if you cannot enter the BIOS setup or boot from a CD), and nigglesnush's suggestion doesn't solve the issue, double check all necessary cables are correctly connected, and that nothing is shorting to the case, eg a screw-mount standoff needs to be in a different position or to be removed for the new board. Make sure the board is not shipped with the CMOS clear jumper in the CLR position, if it's not, try clearing the CMOS memory. Then:

2GB of RAM (one is Wintec (new), not sure of the other)

Is the memory all of the same specification? If not, try using just one DIMM, in case the ones you have cannot be used together.

EVGA 8800GS
WD 250GB HDD
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
Samsung Spinpoint 160GB HDD
A 120GB HDD which I don't know the manufacturer of.

Everything turns on

Try to boot with only memory and the on-board video. In other words eliminate all drives and cards. You should at least get a POST beep, and hopefully a POST screen and access to the BIOS setup. If not, try to boot with no memory either, there should be insistent beeping (assuming there is either an onboard noisemaker or a case speaker - if not, connect one...). If not, the CPU is not running.

Edited by Platypus, 11 July 2008 - 06:50 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Syntra

Syntra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:51 PM

Edited my post with a new problem. Ugh!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:19 AM

Did you delete information regarding your original problem when you edited your first post?

Rather than edit it to add more information, just add another post in this topic to further explain your problem. If you remove or change the original post with the description of your problem, first time readers like myself will be at a loss.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Can you start Windows in Safe Mode?

Do you recall what was the last driver you installed before the problem began?

Were the drivers from the CD(s) supplied with the motherboard, video card etc, or did you download current drivers from the manufacturer's websites?

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers as a first step before installing any other drivers?

If you can enter Safe Mode and you can recall what was the last driver installation you did before your problem began, you may need to remove the relevant device entry from Device Manager in Safe Mode and re-start. You may then find XP will reinstall a generic driver for that device, or no driver at all, and the system may be able to load up Windows again. If this works, let us know which device driver caused the problem, and we can try some further diagnosis.

If you cannot enter Safe Mode either, you may need to boot from the XP CD and do a Recovery Installation.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users