Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tools Failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 emmpe

emmpe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Good evening (for some, at least), this is my first post here. I run a 32 bits XP Pro SP2 on Athlon 64 DC, and an hour ago I discovered there's an issue with System Tools. System information won't open at all, and system restore shows a blank window. I've tried to re-enable all the error report facilities in XP Antispy without luck. My AV has nothing to tell me (KIS 8). Is there anyone who has experienced this to advise me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hello emmpe,

Try going to Start then run type msinfo32 This should bring up the system information tool. Does it run correctly?

Also, have you checked the event viewer for errors and warnings? How To Use Event Viewer
Regards,

Alan.

#3 emmpe

emmpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

Hello emmpe,

Try going to Start then run type msinfo32 This should bring up the system information tool. Does it run correctly?

Also, have you checked the event viewer for errors and warnings? How To Use Event Viewer

Hello, I've tried it all, to no avail.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

Did you recieve an error when trying to run the tool? If so, what does it say?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 emmpe

emmpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

Sorry for delaying my response - thunder season over here, computers live a dangerous life. No error message, just the hourglass by the cursor for a second and then nothing.

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

Why not try this?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm

#7 emmpe

emmpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

Why not try this?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm

Hi, I think I will, eventually - it's not really a matter of broken shortcuts, msinfo32.exe won't start in any way, but the application you suggest seems to be one of these handy little things that will be of use sooner or later. I kinda collect them, so, thank you.

I just ran it and got the message "76 path not found". What does that mean?

Edited by emmpe, 13 July 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

Do you have .net framework installed on the system?
Regards,

Alan.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

The complete error message should have been: Error 76, path not found.

I don't know the extent of your problems but a repair install might be in order.

Louis

#10 emmpe

emmpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Do you have .net framework installed on the system?

Yes.

I don't know the extent of your problems but a repair install might be in order.

Looks like it, doesn't it? Still, it will be the last option - I never managed a repair install without things getting messed up.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm is a good guide about repair install also, what service pack is on the system?
Regards,

Alan.

#12 emmpe

emmpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm is a good guide about repair install also, what service pack is on the system?

Yes, I've followed those instructions exactly in the past, but something is almost sure to go wrong anyway, and you usually end up with a complete reinstall of Windows and all your applications. Oh well, I've got an image of the system from when it was in a virgin state - Id just like to know what's gone wrong so I'll be able to avoid the issue in the future. Service pack is SP2, by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users