Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Lag

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bonez07

bonez07

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

I have a compaq 7020 monitor and out of nowhere it starts to lag. It's only been happening since the other day, it was very humid, and my PC was heating up like crazy and it was being used for a long time. Then I disconnected it and took it to the basement where it is much cooler. The next day I brought it up and now it's lagging as well as sometimes when I go to google and click in the text box to type, it lags there too. It also lags when I load up programs. I have absolutely no idea what it oculd be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

Also my primary drive, C, has around 70 GB free out of 110...and the other one has 10 free out of 28.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:09 PM

I guess I don't know what you mean.

And what makes you think that the monitor is the cause, when the video card is at least equally suspect (until eliminated by a physical switch of hardware)?

Louis

#4 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

By screen lag I mean when I scroll down it takes time to scroll down it's not fluent.

Also I've been noticing that sometimes when I click some certain links on google search, it redirects me to random websites.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:02 PM

It would seem to me that the things you mention...are all mouse-related, moreso than anything.

Tried a different one?

Tried anything different to eliminate something?

Louis

#6 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

I'll try another mouse. But everything is going slow whether it be loading or running the program. I just ran Spybot, it detected alot of cookies and I just fixed all 19 problems (some being in my registry as well). Still same problem. One time a couple years ago though, I had Limewire or one of those P2P programs and it just made a folder that couldn't be seen and it had over thousands of small .RAR files that were named after movies. I only found it because I saw a folder being scanned by the virus scanner and then deleted all the files and it stopped lagging. But now I don't have any P2P programs.

#7 daight

daight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

From what i know,it should not be the monitor which is lagging,it should 1 of the component in your CPU which is causing the lag.
After all,monitor is just a hardware that shows you what your CPU displays.
If you insist that your monitor is lagging...and if you have other monitor,did you try to switch the monitor and test whether is it lagging or not?.
Did you tried to restart your computer?
When my computer is lagging,i restart it,and it solve the problem :thumbsup:

#8 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

Yeah I know it's data which is causing the lag..but I'm saying everything I do is going slow. In Task Manager, I'm looking at all the processes, sometimes I have svchost.exe running at 54 000 k. Right now it's at 17 k. Firefox though, with only 3 tabs, is at 80 k. Is that even possible?

#9 daight

daight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

It is possible for Firefox with only 3 tabs to run at 80k.
Im not sure whether it helps,but you can go to this link and read about the svchost.exe and how to deal with it.

Edited by daight, 13 July 2008 - 12:44 AM.

#10 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

Alright thanks..and here's my Panda ActiveScan I just ran (You'd think AVG and Spybot S&D would remove them :S):

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TTdGQndITkFCSnBFQlE9PQ

As well, recently, my computer has been restarting itself like CRAZY at random times..mostly right when I login.

#11 daight

daight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:14 AM

Erm..sorry i do not know what is Abid Mirza and Mansoor.
Usually i would go to the folder and remove all those cookies.If i suspect the folder have virus(those folder that i never see before,and mostly is 0KB.),i would delete the folder along with it,presumably it is safe even if i delete it.

You can try downloading malwarebytes and do a scanning.(Click here to go to malwarebytes website.)

After downloading malwarebytes and removed those malware,Safeboot your computer and do a virus scan.

Why safeboot?
Reason to do safeboot for virus scanning is that during safeboot,your computer only run those processes it need to start [it wont run extra unnecessary process].And some virus cant be detected by anti-virus when your computer run a certain process(presumably the source of virus)
That is what i know.

To do a safeboot, Go to Run,Type msconfig,Go to the BOOT.INI Tab,Tick the 'SAFEBOOT',click apply,and restart your computer.
After you scan finish,deleted those virus(if have any),go to 'msconfig' again and untick safeboot to boot your computer back normally.
That's the safeboot method for window XP,Im not sure about Vista,sorry.

About your computer restart like crazy,it could be due to virus.
Does your computer do a shutdown countdown before restarting?.
If so,if your computer do a shutdown countdown,go to 'run',type 'shutdown -a' and do a virus scanning.

Edited by daight, 15 July 2008 - 01:18 AM.

#12 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

That's both the administrator account names. Oh and I'm on XP, so I'll try this tonight. No it doesn't do the countdown. It just restarts itself at random times, no warnings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users