Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Some Programs Connecting To The Net But Not Others.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 benrkay

benrkay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hi, im having some trouble with windows xp and was wondering if you could help me. I can get on to the internet from my browser but windows apps and any other programs wont go online. My windows clock wont sync because it says that it is unable to connect. Same with msn messenger and mirc. Firefox and IE seem unaffected but safari wont connect. Any ideas? I have Norton firewall but turning it off doesn’t help.
thanks

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hello benrkay and welcome,

It certainly does sound like the firewall is causing the problems. Can you look in your firewall for its logs and see if it is blocking anything.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 benrkay

benrkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ah well I uninstalled the firewall to see if that would help, it didnít. So Im not shore if I can get to the logs. But I donít think it can be the firewall.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

If the firewall has been removed then the logs probably went with it. Can you search the event viewer for any errors and warnings? How To Use Event Viewer
Regards,

Alan.

#5 benrkay

benrkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:04 AM

Hey Alan. ive got to event viewer but I donít know what Iím looking for. Also im not shore if the dates are reliable on the viewer as my windows date and time reset to the 1st of January when the problem started.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

If you time is not staying set properly then you need to replace the CMOS battery on your motherboard.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 benrkay

benrkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

im still not shore what im looking for. ther are 100's of error msgs and things

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

Look at the most recent that repeat and double click on one and see what the description is. Please post both the description and the error code back here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 benrkay

benrkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

code 7023
The Cryptographic Services service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

code 4226
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

code 36
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

code 1002
The IP address lease 192.168.1.1 for the Network Card with network address 0015586BFC7D has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

Do you have SP2 installed?

#11 benrkay

benrkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

yeah i think so

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

Go to Start, right click on My Computer and then on Properties. When this page opens you will see the operating system information listed there, it will show what service pack/s you have installed.

#13 benrkay

benrkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:45 PM

ok i just checked. yes i have sp2

edit - if it helps i had some spy where on my computer just before the problem. once i got rid of the spywhere the problem stayed.

Edited by benrkay, 13 July 2008 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users