Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sun Solaris

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jhbumby

jhbumby

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

What is Sun Solaris? I have an answer from grinler, but require more than that. It is a Unix based system, but what does it have to offer that linux doesn't, or vice versa. Is it better or worse, do applications and programs work better on it? Please explain, thanks again,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhbumby

jhbumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

Here is part of my answer, anyone have anything to add???
Linux from Sun

Linux has taken hold as enterprises have embraced open computing solutions. Companies that have standardized on Linux or native Linux applications, or who want to draw on the resources of the open source community, can take advantage of Sun's complete commercial Linux solutions -- all supported by Sun's world-class services. Offering branded Linux distributions from Red Hat or SUSE that run on a wide range of Sun and third-party hardware, Sun provides companies with OS choice to select the right platform for their business needs.

Sun further delivers full Solaris and Linux interoperability, including binary and source code compatibility, in addition to common applications and portability features in Java technology as well as common developer tools. A new feature of the Solaris 10 OS enables Linux applications to run unmodified and without recompilation, enabling businesses to capitalize on Solaris 10 innovations without sacrificing existing Linux applications.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

Linux came from UNIX and they share a lot of the same file structure
and of course commands.
The biggest difference is in the software license.
Linux is licenced under the GNU/GPL, which makes it "OpenSource Software", so you can read, and modify the Source Code, recompile and make your own Linux 'Version', if you want, you can sell it, BUT you must give away the Source Code Again...
UNIX code is typically closed souce and you are only given the binary code.Without the permission to modify and distribute.
As far as what you see on the desktop you won't notice anything different.
Unless its MacOSX (which is UNIX not Linux based)

By the way..to answer the first question: Sun Solaris is Sun's UNIX operating system.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 jhbumby

jhbumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:48 AM

True, but Sun Solaris is open source code now. They are using linus type progrms in addition to their own and allow them freely to be used. Sun Solaris is UNIX, I understand that point, but if they utilize all the progrmas that linux has to offer and has their own technologies in the *nix basis, why not look at them as another source for our needs? I will be honest, I hate Microsoft. I was tired of getting bent over by them. I joined the linux community. However, Seeing as I am trying out anything other than MS, I am going to try out Sun Solaris next to see what they bring to the table. What the "communities" are lacking is a unified step to bringing a clear and true competitor face to face with Micorosft windows in the PC world. If we could, linux and unix, work together, we would bring a whole new game to the table. What we need is for Red Hat/Fedora, Suse, Mandrake, Solaris, and the counbtless others to branch all the basics together, and come out with a genralized open source code that works with any of them, and is as "user friendly" (as in point and click) as windows, but for the reduction of price when it comes to the PC. If we, in all the *nix communties, came together and stood as one unified cause, we could take over the, popularly termed as: MSBS system. I believe Sun is ready to do this. Finally, they seem on the ball. Can I suggest that some of you die hard LINUX users try this out to atleast test it and see if it is a good OS? I am going to switch over to it within the next week. I want to learn how to use it. Also, so I am up to date, could the admin or any other special person email me my username and password for this group? jhbumby@.com. It is automatically entered in my linux system, but I want to continue my conversations and experiences with all of you, Raw and Grinler, who have been quite helpful and whom I owe my Linux life to. That would be great. Thnaks again guyes, and I will be soon back to you on my Sun Solaris system. Over and out,
Johnny B

email address removed

Edited by raw, 14 April 2005 - 11:50 AM.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

Did you save the password in the browser or just in a cookie?

rawsig.png

#6 jhbumby

jhbumby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

Quite honestly, I have no idea where I saved it. I haven't done the change over yet, as I still need to record two of the CDs off the computer. I will get there shortly. I apologize for the last long message, I get a little long winded when drunk. I do believe in the *nix systems, I think one or multiple will shortly pull out into the forefront and give microsoft a run. I just want to be their and ready when it happens. As for the password, I can sign up again if I cannot retrieve it. My user status makes no difference to me, as I am still new at this whole thing anyway. We'll just go from there. See you on the otherside-
John Bumby

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

What browser are you using?

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users