Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sonic Dla Issue Writing To Cd/rw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoundFX

SoundFX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

This is a new problem that has come up to an already working solution in 5 other locations.

I have a Dell workstation running WinXP Pro, used as a file server. I have a batch file that uses NTBackup to create a backup file, zips the backup file to save space, and copies the backup file to a pre-formatted CD/RW disc. I installed a version of Sonic DLA (drive letter access) that is customized for Dell computers. I was able to format individual CD/RW media just fine. One new side comment is that the formatting - normally 12+ minutes - only took 1+ minutes to format - however, in trying to eject the disc, there is another 1 minute delay while the system is writing some additional information to the disc.

What I discovered is that there is another program installed - INCD.EXE and INCDSVC.EXE - that may be also controlling the CD/RW disc media. What I discovered is that in my batch file, when I come to the point of writing the file to the formatted CD/RW disc, the batch file seems to lock up - it never moves past the completion of writing the file to the CD. The file is on the CD but the program just seems to get stuck there. I never get to the final step of copying this file to another shared folder on another computer in the network workgroup.

Prior to this new procedure, the customer used Nero to write individual files to a rewriteable CD. Could it be that INCD.EXE is interfering with the completion of writing a file to a DLA enabled and formatted CD/RW disc? Can I just uninstall the INCD.exe and INCDSVC.exe programs? Are there any other programs that should be uninstalled as well?

Thanks for any clues to this little mystery.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

INCDSVC.EXE

InCD server from Nero for CD-RW packet writing. If you want to use CD-RW discs as hard drive then don't remove it. If you don't kow InCD and don't understand this text then uninstall InCD from control panel to save memory.

absolutley harmless, an add-on for nero that lets you use CD-R and CD-RWs just like floppy disks

incd.exe (InCD) - Details
The incd.exe process is the main process for the InCD program. It allows you quick access when burning files to CD/RW. With it running, you can drag files onto a CD to have them instantly written, much like you would when copying files to a floppy disk or hard drive. If you use this feature of the Nero Burning ROM software, you should leave this process running.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SoundFX

SoundFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I still think INCD.exe and/or INCDSVC.exe are interfering with SONIC DLA. I will probably uninstall the INCD programs to see if the problem of my batch file hanging goes away.

Related question - if I have formatted a CD/RW disc while INCD was installed (with the greatly reduced formatting to what I am used to), do you think the CD is formatted correctly, and can be used like a giant floppy disc without any writing errors? Or should I start with new CD/RW discs to keep the process more pure?
Jon

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

The formatting should not be different
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users