Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Telle

Telle

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hello

I was given an old emachines desktop recently without any documentation/discs. It was running okay but a bit slow, so I attempted to format but on bad advice used the restore discs from a slightly older model without success. I just got a blue screen and beeping/general failure.

I was given an XP disc yesterday so thought I'd try that and it seemed to install without problem and I now have a working OS. Everything seems fine apart from the graphics and screen resolution which are now at their lowest/basic settings and there's no option to change them. I'm pretty sure I need the driver for the monitor but would I need drivers for anything else having wiped it previously?

I'm a novice at this so thanks for any help.

emachines 370
XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hello Telle and welcome,

In most cases you will need graphics,modem,USB, audio etc.

Click start then run type devmgmt.msc This will bring up the device manager. Are there any exclamation marks next to any of the groups?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

Your system? http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/tower-...achines-370.asp

Louis

#4 Nyctor

Nyctor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

go to the emachine website go to support or drivers, there will be a field to put your computer in (emachines 370) from there you can download the video driver

#5 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. :thumbsup:

In device manager I see question marks by Multimedia audio controller and Video controller. I can't see any others.

hamluis that is my system exactly. I went to the emachine site but the closest match I can find to the 370 is emachine 'eTower' series - eTower 300.

Not sure it's the same model?

Thanks again

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

Expand the question marked groups and double click on the problem entry. Could you provide as mich information as possible about the problem areas. I.e. Graphics card make and model number.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

I went to the eMachines site also (earlier)...I was going to post the driver page, but I didn't see your system there.

They may have some timetable where they drop support for given systems.

In which case...I'd use some utility like Everest Home Edition to try to find main components and then go websites of each manufacturer. There seemed to be a lot of searches for drivers for this and other eMachines systems.

Louis

#8 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

No drivers installed for either device and I can't update or rollback. The graphics card is intel 3D AGP.
I'm not connected to the net with this yet so I can't let windows search for drivers.

Edit: Thanks hamluis. Yes a quick search shows similar problem with this model so I guess I just need to find these drivers.

If and when I do do I just need to install and will that solve the problem?

Edited by Telle, 11 July 2008 - 04:49 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Well...the drivers (assuming that they are close to the correct drivers) will enable functionality for sound and video.

That's pretty important on any system :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

Yep, I definitely need audio and video. :thumbsup: At the moment though the graphics are just so basic that it's actually difficult to navigate and read some of the general text. I wasn't even thinking about anything as advanced as video at the moment just getting the basic background graphics set so I can see what I'm doing. The desktop background looks like an infant drew it and some text is doubled up and unreadable.

I installed Everest Home Edition but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I need to go Menu/Devices/Pci devices/Graphics controller/Device description, and then note the device IDs that aren't working? Some devices are showing as disabled/ not supported.

I'm sure I'll be able to find what I need as long as I know exactly what I'm looking for...

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

Were you given any CDs with the PC? some of the CDs may contain the appropriate drivers needed for the hardware.

I've recently been using http://www.radarsync.com/ to update my drivers but you will need to be on the internet for it to work and I would only update the graphics drivers at this time.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

I didn't get any discs at all, all I have is restore discs for an older model.

I installed this graphics driver though and all seems to be working now:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...driverid=893360

I had to register and dodge a fair amount of adcrap to get it but the graphics are all back to normal.

Just the driver for the soundcard now..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users