Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr2 Ram Speeds?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 800mhz DDR2 ram performs alot better than 667DDR2. I've read people saying that Crysis cannot run with 667mhz ram. Is this true?

Also, If i buy a PC with 677Mhz DDR2 already installed, can I install some 800Mhz Ram to run along side this?

Thanks,
Cornzey.

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:08 AM

I don't think it really makes a difference at all. Of course it's faster, but I don't think it's really noticeable. I noticed in your other thread, you said you want to overclock and might get a Q6600. 667 ram should be fine for a Q6600, especially if you want to overclock because the ram will be running at 333mhz (DDR), while the processors FSB will be running at 266mhz (QDR). You'll have a little room to just overclock your cpu, before you'll need to overclock your processor also.

Now the thing is, if you buy an E8400 and use 667 ram, you'll want to overclock the ram also because both of them will be 333mhz. To keep the ram from bottlenecking your processor, you'll want the ram's DDR speed (which is half the speed, so 667/2=333), to equal or be greater than the processors speed, (which is QDR 1066/4=266, 1333/4=333).

It would probably be better to just buy 800mhz ram, but you'll be fine with 667. Also, you should be able to add 800mhz ram to a board already using 667mhz ram, but it will all clock down to the slowest speed. so the 800mhz sticks will run as 667mhz anyway.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users