Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving All Data From Bad Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mindnova

mindnova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

Is there any problem moving data from courrupted drive to external storage and reformat and reload windows onto it and then go after lost data on external drive. I am using a borrowed computer to acess the my drive and with my experience it's gonna take a while.

I would like to do this so if I miss something I can go back and dig through it. So is there any reason the data would not transfer or a way to verify same.

thank you,

Mindnova

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:07 AM

Hello mindnova,

If you can access the damaged hard drive and transfer the filed to the other computer. you can then format the damaged drive and reinstall windows, then transfer user files back.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

The problem with corruption...particularly file system corruption...is that normal file procedures may not work.

Example: If a file is on a section of the hard drive with bad sectors or if the file is damaged in any way...the user may not be able to access, read, and employ said file in a normal manner.

I have to ask: What makes you think you have a "corrupted drive"? Files get corrupted, Windows can have corruption, and the file system (NTFS or FAT32) can become corrupted...but that term is not normally used to refer to any hard drive problems. Soooo....how do you know that your hard drive is the problem

Ultimately, my answer has to be: Try it and see.

As long as you are talking data files, what I stated should apply. If you attempt to "copy" installed programs, that's a different topic.

Louis

#4 mindnova

mindnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

It appears that it will not copy. window would not boot just loop. I am showing appx. 47 gig is used on the hard drive but can only see a small part. The part missing is my documents folder with all my data. Everything else is showing up. I have the drive hooked to another computer and it shows programs etc. but not my docs of pictures. So as far as I can tell its there so do i need something like a recovey program for retrieving data from bad sd cards etc. except I need one that is simple and works on a hard drive.

Thanks, I am learning

mindnova

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

If you cannot see (not access) that group of files/folders with the drive attached to another system...it would seem that recovery tools are the only choice.

One of the common provisions I've seen in the recovery programs I've tried/used (maybe 4) is that the user needs to ensure that the destination has sufficient space required by the program used.

This is one that I've used successfully, Data Recovery Tool for Windows XP - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

These two I've not tried, but someone I respected must have mentioned them sometime for recovery purposes:

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/ AND Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home - http://www.recuva.com/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users