Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Many Connections And Ie Dropping Dead

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jenbo

jenbo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:48 AM

Hello, Everyone!

Many thanks in advance for your help with this - please be aware if you reply that i'm not the most tech-savvy person so pretty idiot-proof instructions will be most appreciated! lol
I have a small office network running 5 desktops linked to a desktop server. Yes, they are all wired connections via CAT5 cabling in the loft through a Belkin 8port network switch.
Until about two weeks ago, our internet connection - broadband from BT was through an ADSL modem. We upgraded to a new BT package with the BT Business Total Broadband Wireless Router for our connection. We are not using it wireless, however. I had initial problems getting everyone accessing the network and getting internet access for everyone, but after toying with several physical configurations of the connections, got everyone working.
To clarify, two of the networked desktops are on vista, three are on XP, and so is the server desktop.
The set up is as follows:
The BT Hub is a 2Wire Gateway Business Hub with 4 ethernet ports
The DSL connection is into the hub from the wall
The Network connection is into Port 1 on the Hub from the network cable from the loft
The Server is connected to the network via an ethernet cable in Port 2 on the hub

As i say, arriving at this configuration, finally everyone could access the server files and the internet.
However, since, we are having two problems, predominantly with one of the networked computers.
Error message of High CPU usage and internet explorer has to shut down.
and
Too many connections message preventing connection to the network

I have done some reading that maybe the number of connections to the server is too high as XP home only allows 5, but it all worked fine before. Does it have something to do with the new setup or is it likely down to the machines?

I need some help - it is really becoming soul destroying and slowing down all our work! We'd rather chuck the machines out the window and go to the pub!!

Thank you!

Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

Hello Jen and welcome,

Could you post the exact error message you are receiving?
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users