Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icon changing

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yowza

yowza

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

Hey i wondered when u have downloaded some icons how can u make them so it uses them all the time i know that u can just change them to wat u want but some of them u cant like internet explorer and when u make a new folder it dosent go to ur new one where do i go to sort it out and make my new ones the defaults?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:55 AM

Hi yowza

In windows XP go to Start>Contol Panel>Folder Options.
In the Folder Options window slect the FileTypes tab.
Move the slider around to find the file extension of the type of file who's icon you want to change. Click on the Extension once.
In the 'Details for <name> extension' below, click the Advanced button.
You get an 'Edit File Type' window and the first button is "Change Icon..."
In the 'Change Icon' window browse for the icons you saved, they should appear in the pane below. Click one and then OK.
OK and close your way out.

From now on any file with the extension you chose will be represented by the new icon.

I hope this has been of some help.

Edited by Rimmer, 13 April 2005 - 01:56 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hey wat does it mean file folder and Folder

wat r the diffrence between these two?

Edited by yowza, 13 April 2005 - 02:56 PM.

#4 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

also rimmer how can i change microsoft word icons and powerpoint and excel beacuse it doswent show the main icon for it in there it just shows add ons like when u save trhe file

#5 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

. ok well i was trying to change my folder options so that my folder icons were a special one i downloaded i asked for help on a section and got a reply so i did what it said

this is what it said

Hi yowza

Move the slider around to find the file extension of the type of file who's icon you want to change. Click on the Extension once.
In the 'Change Icon' window browse for the icons you saved, they should appear in the pane below. Click one and then OK.

From now on any file with the extension you chose will be represented by the new icon.

But ethier by accident in the advanced options i clicked one of the things to set default so now when ever i click a folder it opens the search thing which i clicked default for ive tryed restroe defaults but its just not working what should i do i cant get in to any of my folders at all!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:37 PM

See if this helps:
Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens when double clicking a folder
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:47 PM

hey i havent tryed it but i did it by my self its no problem in the registry whcich that would fix i actualy pressed it by mistake what should i do?

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

Hey wat does it mean file folder and Folder

They are the same thing. A Folder is a 'container' in which files are stored. There may be special kinds of folder such as the "My Documents" folder which have different properties from ordinary folders but they are all a way of grouping files together.

how can i change microsoft word icons and powerpoint and excel

The instructions I gave you will let you change the icons for Word documents and Excel files and so on. I do not know how you would change the icon for Word the program, or Excel the program, etc - try a google search.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

ok well i was trying to change my folder options so that my folder icons were a special one i downloaded i asked for help on a section and got a reply so i did what it said

this is what it said

Hi yowza

But ethier by accident in the advanced options i clicked one of the things to set default so now when ever i click a folder it opens the search thing which i clicked default for ive tryed restroe defaults but its just not working what should i do i cant get in to any of my folders at all!

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:21 PM

You've already posted that, what is your situation now?

#11 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:33 AM

its the same i have to right click and then click open i cant just click any thing and itll open that folder it opens something else :thumbsup: help

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:17 AM

I think I see what's happened - you're right there is a seperate entry for 'folders' and 'file folders' in the Folder Options>File Types list. I've no idea what the difference is.

Try going back to Folder Options>File Types and selecting the 'folders' entry and click Advanced. Select the Open item in the list and then click 'Set default' and 'OK' out. See if that fixes the problem.

If you just want to change the icon you do NOT need to use the 'Set Default' button.

#13 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

hey

Select the Open item in the list and then click 'Set default' and 'OK' out. See if that fixes the problem.

whjat do u mean by that ? in the lil screen there is the Axtions option and select default well i cant un do that default it wont let me and none of them are the option to Open a file they r things like openn finepix or open winamp or search thing what shouldi do?

#14 yowza

yowza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:09 PM

i have now sorted the opening problem with the icons by system restoring but do u think it was this that i needed to change my icons? http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

I'm glad you recovered your folder functions through system restore.

I will leave comment on iconpackager to those who have used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users