Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Wont Get Past Post After Cpu Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hm3buzz

hm3buzz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

I have been working on a Compaq Presario SR2013WM and all of the major internal hardware has been replaced. The system is being stubborn and doesn't want to boot. The motherboard was replaced by someone other than me. I've replaced the HDD, RAM and CPU. The machine booted up to a Windows XP Pro install disk after I replaced the HDD and the RAM. After copying the setup files, the PC shut down and wouldn't reboot at all. I ordered this CPU from NewEgg and now the darn thing wont get to POST. It powers up then shuts down after about 10 or 15 seconds. I don't know what else to do and the owner of the machine insists on repairing this one instead of buying a new tower because replacing the parts is cheaper (or so she says.) Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hello hm3buzz,

If the machine shuts down after that short period of time, it is most likely overheating. Have you applied the thermal paste and heatsink correctly?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

Hello hm3buzz,

If the machine shuts down after that short period of time, it is most likely overheating. Have you applied the thermal paste and heatsink correctly? I agree, that may be right on, thanks for adding me as a friend,Alan in Houston

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

Might be useful:

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

troubleshooting No Beep No Video - The PC Guide Discussion Forums - http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

Louis

#5 hm3buzz

hm3buzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:37 AM

The CPU came with a fan/heatsink combo that already had thermal grease applied, so I didn't add to it.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

Can you get to the BIOS? if so make sure everything is recognised and while you are in there take a look at the temperature If your board supports it.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 hm3buzz

hm3buzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Can't get to the BIOS. When I hit the power button, it lights up, then an amber light flashes like there is activity. After about 10 or 15 seconds, it just shuts off.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

That is strange, at this stage I would remove all the hardware components and check them for defects then place then in again.

Do you have a list of components? There could be some compatibility issues.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:03 PM

How good of a power supply did you get?

The purpose of this procedure is to bypass the motherboard to test the PSU.

Caution:
This procedure will involve working with live 12VDC electrical potentials which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. Proper precautions should also be taken to prevent electrostatic discharges (ESDs) within the case of the computer. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle. To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard. Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed. This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

Posted Image

From the top left to right the pins are 13-24, the bottom from left to right are 1-12.

Please notice that there are PSUs with 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, the location of the green wire in the 24 pin connector is #16, and the green wire in the 20 pin connector is #14. If you look at the connector with socket side facing you and the clip on the top the number one pin will be on the bottom left corner. This makes the pin out for the 24 pin connector from left to right 13-24 on top, and 1-12 on the bottom. The pin out for the 20 pin connector from left to right is 11-20 on top , and 1-10 on the bottom. If you look at the connectors you notice that these are sockets that fit over the pins on the motherboard where the PSU cable attaches, this is where you will place the jumper. For a jumper you will need a piece of solid wire about the size of a paper clip (20-22 awg), preferably a wire with insulation. It will need to be large enough to fit firmly into the socket so that it will not need to be held in place while testing. You are at risk of electrical shock if you are holding the jumper when you power up the PSU. Insert one end of the jumper into the socket of the Green wire, and insert the other end into the socket of any Black wire.

Once the jumper is in place plug the cord back in. If the PSU is working properly the case fans, optical drives, hdds, and LEDs should power up and remain on. I would suggest that you not leave this connected any longer than is necessary for safety purposes.

To reconnect the 20/4 pin connector unplug the power cord, remove the jumper, and reconnect the connector. Take a moment at this time to make sure that nothing has been dislodged inside the case.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users