Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook Screen Going Bad?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 redmage81

redmage81

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:16 PM

Ok I was just given a used gateway m320 that has a problem with its display. The laptop starts up fine with no troubles and I can even use it for a short time. I have opened it up and its clean and the heat is about normal for a notebook. The problem still happens when there is no heat and the notebook has only been on for a short while. The problem is the screen resolution with go negative (like looking at film from a camera) and stay that way until I restart the laptop. If I leave it negative for a while the screen will then go fully bright white. I can also make it happen myself by using any dropdown style option menu. I have reinstalled windows xp and reloaded all drivers and run all updates. No change windows is showing me no errors with any part of the laptop and all drivers are installed and working. When I hook up to the external monitor port it runs with no problems even when the main display goes bright white the second monitor is not changed. I don’t think it is the video chip and I am thinking of getting a replacement LCD Inverter. What I am wondering is do you have any advice or should I try the LCD Inverter it’s only going to run about $20. Thank you for your help.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hello redmage81,

Can you describe in more detail what you mean when you say that "the screen resolution with go negative"
Regards,

Alan.

#3 redmage81

redmage81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

i tryed to get some pics of it but this time when i booted and did the same things that i did last time it would just go to a white screen i have a short vid of it happening if you want i will upload it.
Posted Image

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

If you can upload it that would be good, but I don't think BC supports large file uploads.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:56 PM

Sure does sound like either a inverter or graphics chip set problem.

I would take a look at both and make sure their aren't any dust deposits on either of them.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 redmage81

redmage81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

ok this first file is what happens first but the part you want to see is at the very end like in the last 2 sec. the second video is of the screen going completely white,

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/iro...¤t=101_7064.flv
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/iro...whitescreen.flv

ps. dont mind the sound its my kids and the tv
Posted Image

#7 redmage81

redmage81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

sorry about that didnt realise it wasnt working when i tested it. it was working fine
Posted Image

#8 redmage81

redmage81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

ok this first file is what happens first but the part you want to see is at the very end like in the last 2 sec. the second video is of the screen going completely white,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by redmage81, 17 July 2008 - 04:27 PM.

Posted Image

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

I have just finished watching both the vids, the problem looks like the screen is damaged.
Have the system been dropped at all?
How old is the system?
Is it still within its warranty period?
Regards,

Alan.

#10 redmage81

redmage81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

its from some strange place in another state and they wouldnt take it back or toutch it and this is just after my friend got it. as far as i know it hasnt been droped she said about a week after the warranty went out on it this just started happening she said nothing about it being droped or anything happening to it just that it started doing this one day.
Posted Image

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

How old is the system, it may be worn out.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 redmage81

redmage81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

ok so i called her and she said around june of 05 and it took a toumble off her bed
Posted Image

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

It certainly does look like the screen has been damaged. I would take the unit to a computer repair shop. I don't see what else could be causing the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users