Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard Losing Video Signal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phyrdin

Phyrdin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

Hello, I have been having problems that I think comes down to the motherboard after buying a new computer.

Here is my setup:

Motherboard: XFX 680i LT SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Memory: G-Skill 2x 2 gig chips
Video Card - Geforce 9600 GT OC2

So here's what happened, I put everything together and went to power it up and I got to the point where it told me to press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup. But it -sometimes- also gave me the error that said: "Floppy Drive(s) Failed (40)" even though I don't have a floppy drive and it's disabled in the boot menu process in my BIOS. It also said:

"Warning! Now System is in Safe Mode.
Please reset CPU or Memory Frequency in the CMOS setup"

And I honestly have no idea what that is about. I reset the jumpers and it still gave me that error sometimes.

Anyways, the part that is irking me the most and keeping me from further trouble shooting is the fact that when I do hit F1 to continue, it starts to boot up Windows Vista with the little back and forth boot up animation and about halfway through it my screen flashes an unknown blue screen too fast to read and my screen goes black. My monitor then says "No Input Signal" and goes into standby.

When I turn off the computer and turn it back on it usually never catches and my monitor just stays in standby. Every once in a while after fighting with it and resetting umpteen number of times it will finally catch and I can see my initial boot screen, but any kind of reset or Windows boot up will cause it to do that all over again and it takes me forever to get it to catch again.

I seriously have no idea what else to do. I had it hooked to my monitor with a DVI cable so I tried it with a VGA cable and got the same results. I think it's the motherboard, but I want some expert advice to look over this all before I send it back in to wait another couple weeks. >_< Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Phyrdin, 10 July 2008 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

If you don't have a floppy installed...and it's disabled in the BIOS...my first guess would be CMOS battery.

I used to disable my floppy drive in the BIOS of my one desktop...until I noticed that it somehow played havoc with my system. So now I leave it enabled in the BIOS (along with parallel port, serial port, and other settings which really don't apply to my system).

I just remembered what really happened...after disabling my floppy, I think that I hit the default settings in the BIOS and subsequently had a boot problem, since the default settings make the floppy the first option :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2008 - 05:56 PM.

#3 Phyrdin

Phyrdin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

But I didn't hit the default on the BIOS, it's still disabled. o.-
Thank you though, but I still need help with my video signal problem the most. /sigh

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

Without the contents of an error message, it's hard to know where to begin.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

But I didn't hit the default on the BIOS, it's still disabled. o.-

I think that would be the first thing to try is to restore the default settings in the BIOS in case something got set wrong
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Phyrdin

Phyrdin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

I've already done that 3 times. =\ Here is everything I've done so far now...

-Reset jumpers several times
-Tried all the RAM slots
-Tried different RAM
-Tried different video cards
-Tried different hard drives
-Tried different monitors and cables (VGA/DVI)
-Reseated everything that can be reseated about 5 times

That's all I can think of at the moment...

What's odd is that typically, if it were the mobo, nothing would work at all. It has to be something that simply goes over my head. I was in the process of updating my BIOS via manufacturer's website, but when I tried to it suddenly shut off on me like it was all of a sudden an overheating issue. So at that point I wasn't sure if I had set the heat sink wrong that last time or what but it was about 11:30 pm, so I said screw it and went to bed. I could keep trying little tests like that but it just seems to me like it's over my head and it'd be easier to get it refunded and go buy another one. =\

Also, those -were- the error messages. =P No mobo beeps, no special lights, nada.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

I don't see where you replaced the CMOS battery...that's something I would have done, regardless of how effective/ineffective it might have been.

Louis

#8 Phyrdin

Phyrdin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Well anyways, problem solved. The Q9300 is a 45nm chip and the 680i doesn't support it, only the older 60nm chips. I have to turn the board in for a 780i.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

Glad you got it figured out
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users